1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diving article on the BBC

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Graysyid, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It's a very sad affair which has opened a mass of questions and issues. Not least of which is who is responsible for 'monitoring' a diver following the fall: the skipper? the diver? Especially as the diver was so experienced as a technical diver.

As is the case with all of these tragic incidents, it's hard to know what exactly happened.

3. BlueTrin

BlueTrin New Member

I think even though the skipper has a moral responsibility. In this case, blaming him for this accident is a bit much.

Do we want skippers to carry body scans ?
    Because if they claim that the fall on the boat caused his death, there was no way for the skipper to know that unless he asks the diver to strip to examine him.

What if one has internal bleeding in his brain ? Does the skipper need to do a head scan ?

At some point I believe that you should call this an accident and the fault lies with the diver himself for not having aborted the dive if he didn’t feel well enough.

4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

We have all had falls where we've got up, done a quick assessment and then got on with life. He was unlucky that day.

The accident report is very detailed and, as is usually the case, made recommendations on improving boat safety. According to the medical reports the fall resulted in serious internal injuries which left the casualty with a bleak future. Had he remained on the boat it is unlikely the outcome would have been much different.

The legal case to come is unlikely to provide any answers, as the reports did that quite well, but may result in compensation for the family (and fat fees for lawyers) and could also have long-term impact on recreational diving in the UK.

Graysyid, JohnL and Wibble like this.
  5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Good summary Dave

6. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

I was surprised by the sheer amount of kit he was pictured with. I see people with sidemounts, twin tanks etc at Capernwray but he had significantly more gear on - I'm surprised he could walk on a boat deck with that lot, let alone with his fins on. Other than wounded pride, he probably had no idea how badly hurt he was. I'd say it was just very bad luck and I really don't see what his widow expects to get out of a legal challenge other than maybe getting the different authorities to organise themselves a bit better.

BlueTrin likes this.