1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divedonky

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Jason white, Mar 1, 2021.

?

I am new to diving and would like advice on best certificate and all the best equipment to buy

1. 10 answers

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 10 answers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jason white

Jason white New Member

I’m new to scuba world and would like some info on what

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Get certified first before buying anything.

There are really 2 routes to take to start, pay-as-you-go (i.e. buy a course) or club based (where you pay for club membership and the training is included in that), which you take would ultimately be up to what kind of person you are and your curcumstances. If you don't have any friends that already dive then club based (there are shop based clubs too which sort of blur the lines between these 2) could be a sensible choice.

3. NickPicks

NickPicks Super Moderator

What JB said.

Best certificate/qualification: Depends on what sort of diving you want to do and where.
    If you will only ever want to dive on holiday in warm clear water, you're probably best off doing PADI Open Water then Advanced Open Water, and it's probably easiest to do it whilst on holiday.
    If you want to dive the best of UK wrecks and reefs, I'd say do BSAC Ocean Diver and then Sports Diver. This will give you the skills you need to dive in restricted visilbility tidal waters. Doing both courses with a BSAC club is usually quite easy, but depending on the club and the trainee, can take some time. If you want to do it quicker, you can use a BSAC centre to run the courses for you (this will cost more than the club route, but could be done in a few weekends).
    You could do the same skills with PADI, but I think the route would be Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Drysuit Diver, Rescue Diver, dSMB speciality.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The scuba world is as broad as it is wide. Diving in the UK is very different to diving in a holiday location in clear warm water. The types of diving varies greatly too. From shallow coastline bimbles; playing with seals; enjoying the flora and fauna; photograpy; the industrial archaeology of shipwrecks; historic diving on old sites; cave and mine diving; planning diving expeditions; teaching and learning... and that's just the UK with so much to choose from.

You'll need to get your skills sorted out by practising what you've been taught in your training. Clubs work very well in your early days. Forums such as this can help you save a LOT of money with kit choices.

What sort of diving do you do, what interests you and what training have you done?

5. Jason white

Jason white New Member

I have only done snorkel but really want to get into scuba I have always wanted to do it but then never bothered as hollidays were to short and so was cash I want to dive in uk but also want to dive on my holls aswell as I’m not good at sun bathing but I have no idea about what to do next I have contacted a guy at high Wycombe pool about joining that club bacs I think I’m so posed to be going to Maldives in October but don’t know weather it’s possible to be passed by then

6. Jason white

Jason white New Member

Bsac sorry bloody phone

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

There's the basic qualifications which are quite quick to do. BSAC tends to be a bit slower, but with a few months there's plenty of time.

The most well known agency worldwide is PADI. Their intro course is Open Water (OW) which takes 4 days, so a couple of weekends. This will get you into the water in the Madives with a restriction of 18 metres.

It's generally a good idea to do PADI's second intro course, Advanced Open Water (AOW). This is a further advancement on the skills you did in the OW and moves the max depth restriction down to 30 metres. Another 4 days.

PADI will happily sell you "speciality courses" which include things like drysuit (pretty much a requirement for diving in the UK, although wetsuits can be used in the 3 summer months - July through Sept).

So for basic diving, OW. For a bit more control (so you can enjoy it more) do the AOW.

Have fun:)

8. Jason white

Jason white New Member

Thankyou so much for your advice and hopefully I’ll get started soon

9. NickPicks

If you live in High Wycombe, have a look at High Wycombe BSAC:
    https://www.wycombesubaqua.com/

I've not dived with them, but they seem to have good facilities.
    (I work in High Wycombe - when not working from home)
    I often find that asking at the pool isn't much use - the people on reception often don't know which clubs rent pool space from them.

Shameless plug time: If you're near Hemel Hempstead, come and join my club (Dacorum sub aqua club)

10. Jason white

Jason white New Member

I live near Aylesbury so probably same distance could you send me some details thankyou

NickPicks likes this.
  11. NickPicks

I've PMd you a bit about the club.