1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dive Show 2018

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by pitdiver, Oct 21, 2018.

1. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Anybody going to the Dive Show at the NEC next weekend. Mrs PD and myself are going just for the trip and have a quick look round.

If anybody is let me know and I will look out for you.

2. John F

John F Member

Myself and my son will be going on the Saturday.

3. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll be there both days. Presenting on the TekDeck stage, hanging around TDI or BSAC, and generally chatting rubbish.

TG

Sent from my iPad using Timmytalk

Nick Ward likes this.
  4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Going, probably with @jps, on Saturday. Want bargains!

jps likes this.
  5. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Nope, will be in Malta.

6. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I’ll be in sunny Weymouth & Portland

7. StuartM

StuartM New Member

I'll be there Saturday courtesy of free tickets for going to a couple of Dive Leader lectures :)

Nick Ward likes this.
  8. splinter

splinter Active Member

I'll be in Eyemouth diving. I've not been to the show for a good few years, there always seems to be a trip on that weekend.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

9. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

good luck with that. The weather forecast isn't looking optimal!

10. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Yes typical, hoping to do a dive or 2 but the boats needs wrapping up anyway , beer and pizza o’clock.

11. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Well we went on Sunday very disappointed. Not many stalls the hall seemed half empty. A distinct lack of people selling things compared with previous years and much fewer visitors. Can't see it lasting much longer might go the way of the London show.

12. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Seemed that there were a lot more holiday stands than proper diving ones. Seemed smaller than last year too.

Went to a couple of nice presentations - Christine's caving one and the Columbian Island one (can't remember the name of the well-known presenter, nor the island!)

Had a long chat with Revo first thing, so all set as soon as the budget's been approved and released.

Found some small bargains. Couple of 60 metre Apeks spools to swap out my 45 metre spools. They're expensive, but I really like them. Bought a yellow micro-blob to send up the line if I'm in the shit. Also one of the small 15 metre Apeks spools as a safety spool -- lost line, etc.

Fourth Element seems to be doing a new vest top. Nice and thick, so bought one of them from Andark for £15 discount. Had great pleasure in telling Fourth Element's marketing twat that their t-shirt designs are shite -- they don't pay me to wear their logo; for some reason they think it's like some fan thing? Probably too much Faecesbook sycophancy... Maybe next season they'll do those excellent dive-related t-shirts again -- I'd really like one of their caving ones with that clever directional arrow design.

I see Santi are doing some new undersuit stuff. Neat zippered jacket which would be great in winter, both under the suit and when on the surface.

Bought some spares for my stages/sidemount.

Had a good look at a Bonex DPV/scooter. £5k's worth of shiny carbon fibre. Still prefer the DiveX scooters that can take normal drill batteries.

Looked at the Paralenz camera. I really like the 'torch' design which will be a lot stronger than normal cameras. They weren't selling it cheaper alas, but they were giving away some shitty selfie stick with plastic floats. They do need to ship it with a velcro harness bag and some form of tray or handle to use it (must be hard to clearly see which way is up when using it). Definitely marketed at the recreational end of the market, which is a pity as it really would work well for deeper dives. The £650 price tag really puts me off for such a mediocre camera.

Also looked at the EasyDive iPhone/ann-droid housing in a bit more detail. They do two versions; a recreational one (€599) that's only certified for 60 metres and a heavier duty version (€999) which is certified to 150 metres. Was very impressed with the double O-ring seal. The bigger one comes with a battery pack and a wide-angle/macro lens. This is a serious contender for a dive camera, but both are quite large, so definitely not pocketable.

Saw a Shearwater Teleric(sp?). Very nice, but annoyingly it's no replacement for my Suunto d9tx with respect to being used as a normal watch, so I'll be continuing to moan about the Suunto for the next year. Will probably have to get another Perdix as a backup to my current Perdix and leave the Suunto in my pocket.

Didn't hook up with anyone there, but used to being Billy-no-mates.

Got rogered senseless with the £16 parking fee -- TWICE what I paid for the entry ticket! NEC: you're a bunch of greedy bastards and I'll think twice about going to any future shows there.

Driving home I rememberd I meant to get a blackout mask for those authentic lost line searches.

Not sure I'll bother going next year.

Now looking forwards to Eurotec next month.

14. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Couldn't make this weekend, but bought tickets for the show in Coventry next year.

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Coventry show? What's that?

16. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

17. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

If you really want one dirdirect sell them (underwater explorers, Portland, if your visiting)

18. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

.....or you could just shut your eyes instead.

With the yellow blob. What are you expecting/wanting to happen when you send it up. Do you discuss this with the skipper beforehand? I know that some people are expecting a drop-tank to come down the line but if you've not briefed the skipper and not supplied a drop-tank you might be out of luck. If you just want him to be standing by close to you then that seems reasonable.

19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

All of that needs the yellow blob first! Now I have it, I can work on the rest of it. Also there's a plastic wallet on the top of it for any wet-notes.

For now, it's just going to go diving with me. When I'm doing the billy-big-boy dives, then it'll be a necessity to think that lot through first.

20. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Since when? Where does it say that?

Most people just send up another buoy on their existing DSMB line as people don’t routinely carry a yellow.

And even with that method the skipper will only do as briefed.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

21. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Absolutely. However I wanted a small "training blob" sized yellow blob which I could, if in the merde, send up the line. This would be in addition to my two full-sized (orange) blobs.

And most definitely have pre-arranged this with the skipper, brought a drop-tank, etc., etc. Need to scrawl "emergency" or some such on it.

As an aside, it's one of those TecLine "copies" of big H, but at half the price. Seems pretty good value.