1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dive plans for 2020?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Zubar, Jan 8, 2020.

1. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I’d agree with that. Sove of my best dives in Wraysbury were in just 2 metres. Just stick to the edge and follow it round.

2. snowman

snowman Active Member

Off to dive the Zenobia in late March and hoping to combine a holiday in Mexico with a bit of diving out there.

Got a weekend in Plymouth in June and a weekend in Swanage in August planned with the club, so far, and a trip to dive the Arfon in June.

Aside from that, I think it'll be mostly (if not entirely) RHIB and Shuttle diving out of Swanage, Weymouth or Portland this year.

As my daughter is getting married this year and work seems to have almost entirely dried up at the moment, the budget is a bit tight this year (At the moment).

I dive in Wraysbury a fair bit (and actually enjoy it), although probably not quite as many times as you, but I think you're being a bit disingenuous in some of that.

Even midweek the vis can be shocking and it's not just divers who stir up the silt - fish do, too - I was in there a week ago and we suddenly came across near zero vis near the lifeboat (after 6-8M generally) and it was a huge Carp burying itself in the lake bed!

Once stirred up, as you say, it takes a long time to settle, which means hours or days, not minutes.

As, unlike the quarries, the lake bed isn't flat (lots of ridges), it's very hard at times to see the bottom or predict when it's likely to rise up to meet you, no matter how good your buoyancy, so staying off the bottom is easier said than done once the vis goes.

That said, on a good day, midweek (or even the weekends at the moment), vis can be up to 10M and there's lots to see, both life (Millions of Crayfish, some really quite large now, as well as Pike, Perch and Carp - No fishing allowed, so they thrive) and attractions with the promise of a section of plane soon (sitting in their car park at the moment).

Being so close to London, though, it does get very busy at times, especially with trainees, and once it does, the vis declines dramatically.

If you've had a bad experience of Wraysbury, I'd say give it another go, ideally midweek or in the winter (or both!) if it's local - In the worst case, you'll get some low vis experience which will make all those good vis dives a doddle! :D

M

#42 snowman, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  3. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I know it’s just a lake, but I rarely don’t enjoy a dive at a Wraysbury.

4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I enjoyed my Wraysbury trips and often arranged business meetings along the M4 for early Wednesday afternoon, making the option of not returning to the office convenient. With the SDI solo ticket they'd let me do my own thing. However, that all ended when I moved away
    True, the carp didn't help the viz. I mostly saw them north of the bus and rarely elsewhere.

Whilst fishing isn't an option (thank goodness as I see enough line and hookes on wrecks), the crayfish are fair game. Being Signal Crayfish they are an invasive species and it is your duty to gather them. I found the night dives to be the best time (they are more active at night).
    Yep, completely agree.

5. snowman

snowman Active Member

Have you tried eating them? Are they edible (I assume so and some look like small lobsters! :D)

M

6. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

oh yes! Drop into boiling salted water, bring back to the boil, wait 6 minutes and then drain. Meat is in the same places as for a lobster, just less of it. The legs take some dedication but sharp scissors simplify the task (and it seems wrong to waste anything). After peeling a batch your fingers will not thank you. These were the last batch I recovered (in 2014).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

We went to Wraysbury last Saturday and the vis was ok until one of our mob (the dredger) kicked the bottom up. You're right Dave its better with no torch. Met some nice Carp and Pike down there. Bloody fingers were cold, so any advice on new gloves would be great

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  8. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

If dry gloves aren’t an option, then those lobster gloves are supposed to be good.

I suffer from massively cold hands so use use thicker dry gloves (RM107s or something), G1 liners and wrist warmers. Heated gloves will be next.

Graysyid likes this.
  9. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

10. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Perfect. Once you have a pair of those clamped in place you won’t worry about your hands being cold.

11. Jason D

Jason D Member

If got myself a few trios booked this year. A week in Cyprus at the end of April diving the Zenobia. I'm going to Mexico with the misses for 10 days, and doing some diving out there. And at the end of october I'm going to Plura caves in Norway, to do my CCR Full cave course.

I'll also be doing a fair bit out of Dover, and diving as much as possible in the quarries throughout the year as long as I can find people to dive with.