1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dive plans for 2020?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Zubar, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Can I have a go? Pretty please...

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Yeah, that’d be excellent thanks.

I’ll pop my 660s and spare rings in the post and you can give the fitted gloves back to me whenever I next see you.

jps, Wibble and Doomanic like this.
  3. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Underwater fight club?

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Hi all, still pottering about but, after fighting German on Duolingo pre-Christmas for a Vienna trip, I've moved to Spanish for a February Barcelona trip and a holiday in Fuerteventura in May, where I'll be diving. I've also got diving organised in Cape Verde in March and Madeira in June. I really need to take a dip or two in a puddle before I go to Cape Verde, but I'm getting to be a wimp when it comes to the cold - not so much the water, but faffing around on shore before and after!

5. Suffolkmatireland

I am off to Gildenburgh Friday for a day, my buddy and myself have just done a twinset course so we are keen to get some practise in, the aim is for Ghost fishing volunteer work

John F likes this.
  6. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you coming along to the Ghost Fishing Winter Warmer at NDAC in a few weeks?

Suffolkmatireland likes this.
  7. Suffolkmatireland

Sadly not, can't afford to have the time off work at the mo which is frustrating

8. John F

John F Active Member

I would like to get involved when I get some time, how does it work, ? Not having done it before

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Basically you need to do a course with us before you can do real recovery dives. The courses are free but there is a refundable deposit needed to show commitment, upon completion of the course you get your deposit back. Getting onto the course is the tricky bit as there are few spaces, the best way to do this is to attend one of the winter warmer events but submitting reports of gear you see in the course of your own diving gets you on our radar too.

Suffolkmatireland likes this.
  10. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Fundies? ;)

11. John F

John F Active Member

Ok thanks. I have done TDI intro but obviously that does not involve any lifting or recovery .
    I am about to start moving my workshop next weekend, and I am expecting that to take about six weeks, so can’t make the winter warmer at NDAC but after I have settled into my new workshop I would like to get involved.

12. StuartM

StuartM Member

Weymouth in March for a couple of days and then Mexico for a fortnight in April. Hopefully a couple of dives at NDAC or Vobster beforehand.

Alex Denny likes this.
  13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Where in Mexico? What kind of diving?

14. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Which club?

15. StuartM

StuartM Member

We're going to a family wedding and staying halfway between Tulum and Playa del Carmen. Looking at a mix of local reef, cenote and Cozumel.

Wibble likes this.
  16. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Off to Vobster tomorrow to play with scooters... I hope my kit doesn't dissolve in fresh water! :eek:

Suffolkmatireland and NickPicks like this.
  17. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

Crook log Bexleyheath in Kent.

18. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

Doing Wraysbury next Sunday, not been there before but itching to submerge.

19. John F

John F Active Member

Don’t forget your torch, the vis is usually bad

20. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That is not my experience of Wraysbury and I have done a fair few dives there (121 apparently!).

When the viz is poor a torch often makes things worse by reflecting particles in the water.
    The best torch for Wraysbury is a close focussed torch and I have found a HID to be better than an LED (less stray light and different colour).

Wraysbury has a clay bottom and loose clay particles are easily disturbed and enter the water column reducing visibility, sometimes to nothing. It is slow to settle and so is quite unforgiving.
    If you maintain neutral buoyancy, fin with care, and avoid (pointless) arm waving then the silt will remain undisturbed and the viz will normally be reasonable or good.

The best times to dive Wraysbury are during the week, when there are not trainees and inexperienced divers around to mess up the conditions.
    If you must go at the busier times (weekends) then head over to the far side or towards the ends of the lake where there are less divers messing up the viz.

Graysyid likes this.