1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Dive leader" training opportunities

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Tel, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Didn't miss it :)

AOW tells you what the diver 'should' have done same as being presented with an Ocean diver 'should' and that
    enables the Instructor (assuming they are doing Sport) to make a reasonable assessment of competence.

No sorry don't agree, A BSAC Ocean diver would be treated EXACTLY the same as a PADI AOW diver and assume
    nothing other than what 'should' have been done. My worst two examples of extremely poor dive skills came from a
    PADI Open water Instructor and a BSAC Advanced Diver. This was decades ago now when I naively believed what the
    card said. Nowdays i'd question a Course Director or a First Class Diver, until proven otherwise, safer to have no exceptions :)

2. georgedavo

georgedavo Member

Does the page of qualifying dives for dive leader have to be done once all of the formal lessons have been completed? Or can these be done beforehand/alongside?

I think it's mainly dives from large boats, leading dives, dives over 30m additional to the normal 5 different conditions that need to be signed off (not got my qualification book to hand at the moment)

3. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

It’s alongside / any point after qualifying as Sports Diver

4. georgedavo

georgedavo Member

Brill, thanks Nick!

I've got a few trips planned this year that'd be ideal for signing off a few of those.

5. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

The depth dives are over 25m, and any after qualifying as SD count.
    The experience dives (wall, deco, small boat, big boat etc) can be the same dives as you're being trained on.
    The "leading dives" can be the same as the experience dives and the depth dives.
    (if they couldn't be doubled up, then the signoff of "at least 20 dives/600 minutes since SD" wouldn't be necessary as you'd have to do more than 20 to get all the other boxes signed off.)

georgedavo likes this.
  6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Just to correct a commonly held misconception that DL is a 50m grade, when it can all be done at 26m max.

Even if only doing Sport Diver depths it's well worth doing DL :)

NickPicks likes this.
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nowadays, my AOW (done in 2012) is a distant memory. A stepping stone along a long path of learning and skills in our challenging hobby. Having put the hours of practice in and having progressed down the technical path enabling me to do the kind of diving I want. Forever there's masses of scope for improvement: the more I dive the more I realise there is far more to learn and practice. Maybe one learns how to be self critical?

One thing I've come to appreciate, in general terms, is just how wide the skills gap is between those of the technical and recreational fraternities, especially with core skills. Trim, buoyancy, finning... all vital to avoid leaving a cloud of silt behind or disturbing the flora and fauna or worse.

This easily traces back to one event, attending a GUE Experience Day at which excellent skills were demonstrated, the likes of which were utterly incredible compared with the mediocrity-- or worse -- I'd experienced to that point in my short 60 dive 'career'. Flat trim, rock stable buoyancy, finning only for control, no use of hands, keeping completely still in the water... The clincher was the *expectation* that this should be the goal for every diver.

I signed up for a GUE Fundies course pretty much straight after, which of course I failed, such was the enormous skills gap I needed to bridge. Fundies is probably the most influential diving course I've ever done. Months, more like years of practice later, I'm fairly happy with my skills, although I know they can always improve. Pretty much everything one does when diving uses those core skills, be that taking photos; hanging around on a deco stop; penetrating caves, wrecks or mines; or just enjoying diving.

It's not pleasant being on a dive and seeing the visibility being destroyed as out of control divers kick up the bottom, seemingly unaware of the mess behind them. Sure, we all have to start somewhere... I just wish that the agencies would push these skills more assertively. It mystifies me how the main agencies don't really stress these core skills and use them for off-season training and practice.

John F and NickPicks like this.
  8. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

My DL was as Tel said and after completing had to do depth progression dives up to 50m before I had the depth signed off

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  9. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I just looked at my QRB and it seems my dive leader depth progression stopped at 40m on my first dive on the Salsette :eek:

That was the dive where I knew helium was part of my future gas plans. Depth progression seemed less important after that and all my deeper divers were on trimix. For completeness I should get it updated so I can dive to 50m :)

10. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

My DL stopped at exactly 50m :) :)
    Mind i'd already done PADI AOW at 42m so it wasn't really that much deeper.

No He or Nx at the time so it was all about deep air. When I did get around to He, can't say it made a
    massive difference, but by then I'd cut the depth back so much anyway that any advantage had been
    eroded and now i'm happy to keep within ADP depths :)

phantomlurker likes this.