1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dive fitness

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Cybes, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

I spent 40 minutes in the water today. Mostly at 20-25 metres. Not particularly cold and no current to speak of.
    All those muscles I haven't used since I last dived are now saying hello. I'm not in any pain, but a little stiff.
    It's surprising how quickly your body loses condition. And it's surprising how time passes. I thought I'd been on the dry for 3 months. Looking back it was 5. How did that happen?
    This was a pleasure dive looking at the fishies. Nothing strenuous. New kit config to get used to and I worked a little on trim and movement, but no stress.
    Got to admit I've got a bit of catching up to do before I'm where I was at the end of last season.
    Practise practise practise...

2. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Know what you mean! Its hard work this diving lark!

3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Go swimming a couple of times a week. It'll help.

4. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

swimming or any form of aerobic excersise will be good as long as its reqular.

5. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

It can be hard to find the time. Family man, not a lot of me time. Although my wife doesn't quite see it that way..

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Cycling is good. I cycle to the offices (I work in different locations). If I'm working in London (typically twice a week) I will cycle the three miles to the station, take the bike on the train, then cycle the four or so miles to the office. It soon adds up and does wonders for your fitness.

I did my expenses claim for last year: car mileage 200, cycle mileage 2600, which at 20p a mile (official government amount) is £520, which pays for the maintenance.

7. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Not been an issuer so far. But I imagine even going for a nice long walk most evenings would help to some degree. Get a dog. You will need to go out then ;)

Cybes likes this.
  8. Andy Stevenson

Andy Stevenson Administrator

Get three, that'll keep you active, although not necessarily sane. Ask me how I know... :)

Dan Payne likes this.
  9. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

I bet its because you have a pet gerbil .

10. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

I always thought exercising my right arm in my local hostelry was adequate exercise for diving. Obviously I will have to walk more. Down to the next hostelry :)

furryman likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Oh, of course, I'd forgotten that darts was a sport... As Gordon Gutbucket goes for the treble...

12. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

Waddling like a duck.

2 hours in the shallow end working on buoyancy, trim and propulsion techniques and I'm walking like I've had a spanking. Everything from my arse to my feet is sore. This is the first time my feet have joined the party.

This is an old thread I started last year for very similar reasons. It's worth reminding ourselves just how fitness levels and muscle groups change when they are not being used in unusual patterns such as when diving.

I took up swimming last year, partly to improve and maintain fitness levels. It hasn't helped because it uses muscles differently. Bending them back into diving related shapes hasn't made them happy..

Wibble likes this.
  13. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Aerobic fitness is one thing but you need to work the muscles that you are going to use on a regular basis. A super fit runner is still going to ache after a weights session if it's something that they haven't done for a while.

The solution is simple - dive more :)

14. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

2 dives a month minimum, eat more pies job done.

15. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

As a diving newbie, I'm finding that a lot of the need is flexibility - yoga, pilates, tai chi would fit the bill. While diving is generally not aerobic, there can be a fair amount of lifting and lower leg work - gym work, exercise classes, aqua aerobics. As you get older (like me!), a proper session is needed - warm up, work all of the body, cool down, stretch - this is easier if you've got an instructor taking you through it.
    The alternative for you youngsters is walk to the pub, bend elbow repeatedly, stagger home -another downside of age is that your capacity for beer reduces; I'm getting to the point where I drink halves.

16. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

Family, Christmas, weather....

Now I've returned to work (overseas) I can dive once a week.
    First dive was a training dive last sunday, next one is in the 'oggin.
    Plan is to be back on form when I return home in April and push on from there.

Pies mmmm.

You can't get a good one over here.

Iain Denham likes this.
  17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Main challenge I normally have is strength and the worry that I'll do my back in, particularly when lifting an assembled twinset into the boot of the car. That and falling on my arse- and then doing the inverted turtle impression when trying to get up.

One of the hardest things is getting a twinset on when it's on the ground. You can climb into it, but it's an absolute sod to get up with it on. Must do more diving on hard boats than RIBs this summer!

On the serious note, it's one thing to lift heavy weights when you're warmed up, but it's a completely different kettle of fish when you're cold.

18. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

You know the solution .........

Just sayin ........................

Sidemount :)

or MTFU :)

Wibble, Mako-JD, MikeyH and 1 other person like this.
  19. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

5K run in the morning for me before work and sprint 8 every second day keeps me in good shape,not just for diving but overall health.
    If yours knees can't take it swimming and cycling are next best.
    Just remember whatever you choose slow/fast slow/fast is the best way,much better than a constant speed.Also remember to body need time to heal after a hard workout so day on day off is a good idea

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Valve drill today. Must remember to pull the drysuit up before getting in the water. Managed it, but feeling like it was more of a "managed it, just" and now feeling the aches. Of course it could be the cold and the additional padding. Why do I do this to myself...?

Sidemount, it's like TopGear having the Austin Allegro/Marina driving behind them... Kind of inevitable!