1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dive computers

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by Graysyid, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Standard Buddy has just 2 metal D-rings on the front, one of which is ok for an alternate,
    but the other one is useless for anything else like a DSMB/reel etc. as it gets in the way.

[​IMG]

The TD version on the other hand has an additional 6 metal D-rings, not that hopefully
    anyone would use all at the same time :)

These are 2 on the shoulders, 2 on the very bottom (ideal for a DSMB) and two on the rear
    panels. The standard are always coloured and unless it's the blue (really purple) version they
    get grubby really quick hence why the TD is better, they look better, longer :)
    [​IMG]

2. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Went to Simply Scuba at the weekend and bought a Vyper Novo, woke up Sunday switched it on and Low Battery. Back to Simply Scuba next weekend for a battery change, did get a £20 voucher to spend for my troubles. Not that sitting at the Dartford crossing for hours will be worth the £20.

3. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

I will bite your arm off if you have a large please

Wibble likes this.
  4. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

5. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry had a look and have loads of small and medium at the moment, but no large although I may have a
    Buddy Ranger back in a few weeks. .

As for ebay, the first is a Commando TD, but is fitted with the Auto-air which you don't want.
    Looks sort of ok though, worth spending £2 on a blanking plate for the rear suicide bottle port.
    The good news is it comes with the special hose to fit the Auto-Air, the bad news this along with the
    AUTO-Air must have a service. At £135 it's overpriced, compare with other ads and mediums are as
    low as £40. Six months ago couldn't find a medium and loads of large, so this is just a supply issue.

It's worth about £80-£90 Max or £100 with postage (you'll be spending £30 on a service)

The second one is a Buddy Ranger TD.
    First off the Commando and the ranger have different bladder sizes, the Commando is longer in the
    body than the Ranger. If you are a stock Large the Ranger will be fine, but if taller the Commando
    is a bit better with more lift. This one has the AP200 Inflator which is good and cuts out all the Auto-air
    rubbish.

The zips on the Commando pockets can be a bit of a pain to get into and often break, while the
    Ranger has velcro. The main difference is the Ranger has trim weight pockets at the back that will take
    4kg off your belt and have integrated at the front. The weight pouches are not in the pic so assume they
    are missing. Can get these from AP new or I have loads so can do a pair cheap easy :)
    I'd take that suicide bottle off stick that on ebay and again blank this off with a £2 plate from AP.
    Yes this will need a service, but a bit less than that Commando.
    I'd ignore the strobe and knife as selling points only and work on the BC. Bearing in mind you'll need a
    service, an AP hose (standard BC LP hose is NOT the same) and those pouches..

With all that it's worth a tad more than the Commando and i'd go for £100 max + postage.

6. SimonL

SimonL New Member

Sorry to hijack the thread but don't suppose you've got a pair of front weight pockets for a Commando available please?

7. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

8. SimonL

SimonL New Member

OK. Thanks.

9. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

If it doesn’t have to be an AP I’ve an Aqualung Axiom you can have for £100 plus postage or I’m in Herts, nr Watford, if you want to collect/view it.

Done about 30 dives, maybe not even that.

Last used early summer 2016.

Taking up space I can’t afford to give it. Not advertised elsewhere so it’s yours if you want it. Was thinking about listing it later this year.

Size large.

10. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah I use a Seaquest Pro-QD for teaching which was taken over by Aqua-lung, so apart from the
    harness system and the trim-weights being internal, this Axiom is very similar.

To the OP i'd go for this at £100 as long as it the Axiom, but NOT if it's the pile of poo Axiom i3 which
    should be put in a ditch and burned :p

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Yay, burn it, burn it... Those i3's are a bloody menace, it's like the designer changed everything for the sake of changing everything including everyhing that never needed changing. Given that it'll go to a novice nobody else will know how to dump or fill it.

12. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

What gets me is that 99.9% of training from entry to technical on open circuit has a corrugated hose
    and even the most basic of divers knows how to do an assisted ascent and could even (if not taught)
    have a go at a CBL. So why on earth come up with a system that hinders those options?

One of the worst examples i've seen is a picture of a dive school with rows of i3's !!!!!!!!

13. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Standard trunk on mine, it’s not got the strange mechanism.

14. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

I'd be interested in that Tribal Chestnut if you're still interested in making some room, I'm only an hour from you so more than likely view/collect.

15. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Too late matey, just popped it in the loft!

splinter and JohnL like this.
  16. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Just kidding, will pm you.

splinter likes this.