1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dive computers

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by Graysyid, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

:eek: Do they? If they are designed to scare you into cutting short your dive, or treating a no mandatory deco dive as a deco dive, then I might agree with you. Apart from limiting dives due to excessive conservatism, I find reporting an incorrect time to surface unacceptable and therefore feel other computers also do no deco sport diving better.
    :eek: When did fashion have a place in a sport where snot on the face is considered normal? The functionality of a dive computer is far more important than it being a fashion accessory!

The transmitter is a poor idea and if you are looking at spending that sort of money then I'd recommend something that uses a recognised algorithm, rather than some fanciful proprietary nonsense!

If we are talking fashion then I must observe that strapping a large cylinder of compressed gas on your back and proceeding to empty it, without actually using most of the gas, seems pretty old fashioned, and is verging on primative! Join the in crowd and enjoy silence under the water! :D
    I agree the lower cost Suunto computers are an excellent choice for getting started and the basic screen is entirely adequate for purpose.
    Then quit sounding like a fanboy!

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The Suunto is a good recreational computer. The problem is that they market it as a technical dive computer which it is very poor. Kind of like car companies marketing their soft-roaders as roughty-toughty all terrain vehicles when they don't even have four wheel drive.

This is the case for Suunto. They use 'technical' diving as a pinnacle and use that for added credibility, even though the reality is Suunto make awful technical computers -- just as a Nissan Cashcow is an awful off-roader but perfect for mummies driving their offspring 2km to school.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Whilst we're at it... I have a strong suspicion that Suunto control the retail prices of their computers, effectively banning discounting to keep margins high for the local dive shops, who then push the Suunto and especially the high-value models such as the EON.

I realise the market for dive computers is very small with only a few thousand sales in the UK each year. However, there's such low amounts of discounting it's obvious that the market's being controlled.

Isn't this an example of monopolistic practice? Is it legal?

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Gas pressure transmitters...

With the one exception of historical gas consumption analysis, there is no good reason for using this marketing gimmick. I'd go as far as to say it could well be dangerous:
    • DiveMASTER / dive leader cannot see if their flock are checking their gas, nor can they see the gauges to 'quietly' monitor them
    • All the information is in one place; so you will ignore everything. Add a little bit of narcosis and you won't see the information beyond a blur of numbers on a screen. I've looked at the screen, but didn't understand or retain anything.
    • You don't get used to segmenting the three critical pieces of information: gas, time, depth. Segmentation of information is critical for understanding what's going on.
    • It overcomplicates things. Underwater you must have simple.
    • Tech fails.
    I'll also say the same about integrated compasses. Agreed some are better than others (the Suunto watch computers are particularly useless), but all are awful in comparison with a decent standard compass -- of which the Suunto SK8 is probably the best compass made.

Shirley I can't be the only person who jumps into the water and all higher-level thinking functions seem to be left on the boat? Once getting deeper and the narcosis properly kicks in, then I utterly rely on my habits and engrained skills. Checking gas. Checking NDL / TTS. Keeping an eye on my buddy. Thinking ahead... Hi tech is a recipe for lots of impending trouble.

5. John F

John F Member

I got an Eon steel a couple of years ago, from NDAC, with a pod for £650.
    I like it because I can see it easier them most others but, I had a rapid accent, due to a lost weight, on the way up all the bells and whistles were going of but after the dive the log showed no alarms, and so looks safe. After a couple of hour I did a second dive and got hit. So it seems dangerous not to show alarms on the dive log. When I got home and put it on my pc all the alarms were there. Also did a dive at Vobster with 14 min deco that took 30 to clear.
    John

6. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

You were not shallow enough as the (Vyper) manual says "The ceiling zone is the optimum decompression stop zone. It is the zone between the minimum ceiling and 1.8m (6 ft) below the minimum ceiling." and therefore it wants you as close to 3m as you can be for that last stop, and not at 6m!

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Isn't the last stop adjustable? It's fine setting 3m in calm waters, but not where there's a swell running, hence using 6m for the majority of UK diving.

8. splinter

splinter Active Member

I did a couple of dives earlier this week. I had my OSTC mk2 and a Vyper with me. OSTC was set to gf 50/80 and the Vyper on standard settings. Both comps set for 32%.

The first dive was to 35m max for 20 mins or so then getting gradually shallower. The Vyper was giving me about 7-8 mins of NDL more than the OSTC. Total dive time was about 50 mins.

Second dive, similar profile, the OSTC was giving me about 11-12 mins more NDL than the Vyper. The Vyper actually gave me about 5 mins deco to do, although it cleared as we spent quite a bit of time shallow (8-9m) watching fish.

I think the point I'm trying to make is, I'd have been happy to use either computer for that sort of diving (recreational holiday dives) although the OSTC is easier to read. For a tec dive the Vyper would have been in gauge mode with a written dive plan and the OSTC would be my primary comp. Horses for courses.

If I was in the OPs position I'd buy a cheap suunto, maybe 2nd hand or that OSTC sport linked to earlier if I had the cash.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

9. JasonP

JasonP Member

Yes, but with a proper algorithm, doing your 3m stop at 6m won't take twice as long.

10. JasonP

JasonP Member

Be interested to hear what you make of it. I don't know anyone who has one yet and the price is appealing

11. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Graysyid - a long time ago, you asked the question above and here we are on our fourth page of responses. Are you clear what you should buy now? Welcome to the world of internet forums.:facepalm:

12. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Nah, not a Scooby. I look forward to the next post on BCD's and Regs

13. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

That’s easy; wing, stainless steel backplate and OPH instead of a BCD, Apeks DS4/ATX40 regs.

14. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Wing and Backplate I understand. What is OPH?

15. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

16. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Graysyid likes this.
  17. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

What about long hose and necklace?

18. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Goes without saying.