1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dive buddy Wraysbury or Vobster Quay

Discussion in 'Dive Buddy Finder' started by Phil Bilyard, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Phil Bilyard

Phil Bilyard New Member

Happy diving Wibble.

2. Runnerbean79

Runnerbean79 New Member

Phil,

I'm recently completed AOW with a handful of recreational dives under my belt, need to get my hours and familiarity up with navigating.

I have a couple of Sunday's free in December if you like? Prefer vobster for viz and facilities but happy to go wraysbury for variety.

I am a member of vobster and did wraysbury on one of my training days.

Let me know if interested

Chris

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Was bright but cold. 6 degrees outside and 9 degrees in the water. It's times like that which makes one yearn for a heated vest. Fortunately I have one but poor old @jps did get rather cold.

Spent two hours on the same platform in two dives just fiddling around with stages and drills. Amazing how time flies past when you're having fun.

Didn't manage to use four stages as I'd hoped. Was good to sort out one stage on the right. Needs some modifications to certain techniques such as the donate "S" drill and also where you park the umbilical torch when switching to that stage.

I'd tried three ali80 stages on the left, one on a leash. Problem here is that it's a massive embuggerance as it dangles down between your legs when it's full. Must be great towing a stage on a leash when you have a scooter.

Anyway, provided one is careful, hanging a stage on the right isn't that bad. All lived and I now feel competent and confident that I can use a bottom stage with two deco gasses. Result. Except that I'll be the most popular bubble blower on a boat full of box users as I have even more bailout for them.

Oh, and I need to do two modifications to my harness: billy rings left and right. Those sodding D-rings are a bloody liability as they collapse. If it's good enough for sidemount then it can go on my harness.

jps likes this.
  4. Phil Bilyard

Phil Bilyard New Member

That’s good to know Chris and thank you. Mark, also in this thread and I are planning to go to Wraysbury this weekend. Definitely interested in Vobster, what Sundays were you thinking of. Would be go
    Thanks for the Message Chris. What Sundays were you thinking of? Really happy to go to Vobster, dived there with LSD and enjoyed it, as you say, good facilities and better visibility. Diving in Wraysbury this Sunday now thanks to this forum. But any other Sunday, happy to come to Vobster.

All the best, Phil

Wibble likes this.
  5. Runnerbean79

Runnerbean79 New Member

How about Sunday 17th?

6. Phil Bilyard

Phil Bilyard New Member

Hello Chris

I can do Sunday 17th. Send me a private thread and we can exchange details and hook up at Vobster.

All the best,
    Phil

7. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Not sure if you’re aware of this but the 17th is Vobster Santa http://www.vobster.com/vobstersantas.php if they had 188 divers last year I would expect it to be a tad busy!

There’s at least four from our club going, myself included.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Runnerbean79 likes this.
  8. Phil Bilyard

Phil Bilyard New Member

Thanks for letting us know Griffalo.

9. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

No problem, I also need to get some practice in. Where are you based? Vobster is probably a PITA to get to from London. I live in Reading, Vobster is about 2 1/2 hours away but NDAC is only about 1 3/4 hours.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

A couple of us are going to NDAC this Sunday 10th December. More drills & skills & stage carrying.

11. Phil Bilyard

Phil Bilyard New Member

Hello Griffalo

Based near Sunbury. Went to NDAC about a month back for the first time. Absolutely brilliant, great place. When are you planning to go next? All the best, Phil.

12. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

I’ll be at Vobster on the 17th and was thinking of the UKD meet at NDAC in Jan. Just need to check my availability

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Have binned NDAC - apparently the M4 is closed this weekend. So we're heading to Wraysbury instead (Sun 10th).

14. StuartM

StuartM New Member

Only the bit between J13 and J14, there's a diversion in place down the A4.

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

That, plus the weather, plus four hours less driving...

16. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I’m planning on being at Wraysbury this coming Saturday