1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dive buddy Wraysbury or Vobster Quay

Discussion in 'Dive Buddy Finder' started by Phil Bilyard, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Phil Bilyard

Phil Bilyard New Member

Hi all, anyone available for diving or doesn't mind me tagging along for weekend diving in either Wraysbury Lake or Vobster Quay. Thanks.

2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Probably of no use but I'm planning to have my first dive in a while at Wraysbury on Monday. If you're able to make it I'd be happy to jump in with you.

3. Phil Bilyard

Phil Bilyard New Member

Thanks for the reply and that's a real shame, unfortunately I can't do weekdays.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

@jps and I are going to Wraysbury on Sunday. We're aiming to spend some time running through twinset/sidemount drills 'n skills (valves, donation) plus twin/triple stage handling/switching.

You're welcome to join us but it might not be exciting!

5. Phil Bilyard

Phil Bilyard New Member

Hi Wibble, I have only 23 dives to my name, qualified as AOW and Drysuit speciality but I think you guys are leaps and bounds ahead of me and clearly TEC divers and you wouldn't want a mere novice joining you. I am looking to get to Wraysbury or Vobster Quay for a couple of weekends in December. Thanks ever so much for responding and for the offer though. I should have been a bit more explicit in my post, sorry. Are you running courses in side mounts yourself? Very interested in learning, how much would it cost? Thanks again, Phil.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hi Phil,

We'll probably faff around for ages getting our kit sorted then jump in and faff a bit more as we attach all the stages, then head off to a platform and faff around some more. Lots of the standard drills to run through. I'll probably dive in a twinset so @jps won't be lonely.

I don't teach -- perish the thought! The main thing to do in the early days is to get time in the water. Definitely wouldn't recommend switching kit configurations too early as you're in the 'absorb everything' mode. Need to focus on nailing buoyancy, trim and finning. The hardest skill is being still in the water.

My sidemount stuff has been a bit of a side project just for a challenge to do when the sea's off limits. I finally think I've got it sorted on aluminium cylinders but now will move to steel cylinders which will no doubt bugger everything up again. Lots of skills to practice here too.

So, if you want a dip, you're welcome to jump in with us but we'll probably not be touring the lake (unless the vis is truly awful).

How long have you been diving and where?

7. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Phil, unless you plan to go into some very tight spots inside caves and/or wrecks then I suggest you ignore side mount. For most divers side mount is merely a way of spending time and money on something that isn't actually needed and you do most of the diving done by most UK divers using a single tank.

If you lack a buddy maybe it is worth finding a local club and getting BSAC sports diver training.

Zubar likes this.
  8. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

I agree (and I dive SM)

9. Phil Bilyard

Phil Bilyard New Member

Hello Wibble

Thanks for the good advice. I have been diving since May and can't believe I hadn't done it before. I am a member of LSD but everything has gone a bit quiet there. Only 23 (including OW, AOW and Drysuit training) dives to my name but just want to dive, dive and dive to get my experience and skill up. Unfortunately, my regular buddy is a divemaster and doing plenty with the club as a pro. I can't do this weekend but would have loved to have joined you, but please do keep me posted when you go again, assuming it would be alright to tag along.

All the best

Phil.

10. Phil Bilyard

Phil Bilyard New Member

Hello Dave

I must say, being a mere novice at this and new to the community, you are all a friendly bunch and happy to dispense with your hard earned experience. Your advice is greatly received and appreciated, thank you. I'm a member with LSD but it's a bit quiet at the moment.

All the best,

Phil.

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Many of us discovered diving later in life and find it extremely addictive. You'll move though different phases in your diving 'career'. The main thing is to get time underwater in all sorts of different circumstances. Mucky puddles are good for developing skills which you'll need out there in the unpredictable sea. Obviously not all skills are available in a lake -- there's no current or waves -- but the more you dive the easier it'll get.

The bigger challenge is to find different people to play with. A LDS is fine but they can often be quite limiting, especially if you're after training and practice buddies. It's quite depressing how few people go diving for practice. Most of the 100+ members of my LDS's "club" only dive abroad and I think I'm the only one who regularly travels to the puddles for practice. Sure, they run courses, but I've never seen any of them out just for practice.

As Dave and Hawk say, sidemount is a great way of messing around and wasting time and money with new kit and techniques. Later is a good time to do it rather than sooner.

I'm sure we'll get some diving in.

12. StuartM

StuartM New Member

Phil, when you say LSD is that London School of Diving? I had my first ever dive with their sister school, Dive St. Lucia which got me hooked.

Someone else mentioned BSAC and there's a branch in Weybridge. I did my OW with PADI and have moved across to BSAC for my Sport Diver qualification. If Weybridge are anything like my branch there'll generally be something going on most weekends.

13. Phil Bilyard

Phil Bilyard New Member

Thanks Stuart. Yes it is the London School of Diving and it’s a very good club from what I can see, they just don’t seem to be doing much over the colder periods. Mind you, I haven’t done too much of the social events they hold, which I really should do. Useful tip about BSAC and Weybridge, that’s much closer to me. Thanks for the good advice.

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Like a lot of clubs, it definitely tails off in the winter. Frequently see LSD in Wraysbury.

Car packed. Boot is full of cylinders - having to use the back seat! Just for a laugh, going to be diving with 3 and 4 stages.

15. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

:eek::eek: you need help!

jps likes this.
  16. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Surely we’re not in the colder months yet?? The sea is still 13C off Plymouth! (at least it was yesterday).

Terribly viz though...

17. Fitzlions

Fitzlions New Member

Hi Phil

I’m in a similar position to you - 10 dives; also a member of LSD, drysuit certified. I was planning to go to Wraysbury this afternoon with my buddy, but it turns out he is in Germany at the moment. I’d be happy to join you or tag along with others in the future.

Cheers

Mark

18. Phil Bilyard

Phil Bilyard New Member

You’re right Alex, it’s incredibly mild isn’t it!

19. Phil Bilyard

Phil Bilyard New Member

Hello Mark, that’s great. If you’re available, could go for a few dives in Wraysbury next Saturday? Also nice to hook up with a fellow member. Let me know.

All the best,

Phil.

20. Fitzlions

Fitzlions New Member

Unfortunately I’m on Tombola duty at my daughter’s school’s X-mas fair next Saturday. Next Sunday I’m free though. Send me a private message if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk