1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIR vs GUE - or are they the same?

Discussion in 'DIR Diving' started by DaveS, Oct 7, 2010.

1. DaveS

DaveS Play nice. Enjoy UKD

I've seen the terms DIR and GUE used in a somewhat interchangable manner in this DIR forum. Are they the same? What's the difference between a DIR diver or a GUE instructor? Is there such a thing as a DIR instructor?

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

That's a good question.

DIR = Style of diving/Thinking/Planning
    GUE = Agency that teaches and promoted DIR diving

All GUE instructors teach DIR methods/techniques. Instructors from other agencies (PADI/BSAC/TDI/SDI) 'may' teach DIR methods/techniques.

I'll await Garf's better reply.

3. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Can't do better than yours tbh!

4. neilh

neilh Well-Known Member

Hehe - indeed!

UTD and Inner Space Explorers are also agencies with some basis around DIR principles. In addition there are divers who follow the DIR approach but don't have any formal training from a DIR agency. E.g. JJ :thumbup:

5. zoglet

zoglet Member

Coke/Pepsi, McDonalds/BurgerKing.

I think it's fair to say that GUE were the first agency to promote DIR as a complete system. Since then there have been a few new agencies that I believe spun off for various reasons, not least being there is growing interest in DIR and money to be made from teaching it.

6. Badknees

Badknees Meg Pilot (retired) and Forum KGB

As I see it you can't be part DIR. So the the only agencies that call themselves DIR are GUE and there off shoots.

It's a whole system not a part system else we'd all be DIR.

BK