1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIR in the UK

Discussion in 'DIR Diving' started by MikeyH, Nov 14, 2015.

1. MikeyH

MikeyH Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Hi - I am a newbie as many of you know. I have a couple of questions WRT DIR.

What is the best, most current learning guide/book for DIR?

I see DIR and GUE often used, seemingly interchangeably, on this forum and I am confused e.g. In the top section of this forum there is a "GUE" guide to valve drills - I thought DIR was the ethos/standard and GUE was just an agency that is underpinned by DIR. Presumably all GUE guides/training are DIR guides/training without anything added?

Is GUE the only agency that is DIR based in the UK? (I had a look on the GUE web site to see if I could find a list of certified instructors in the UK, but haven't found it yet - will keep looking).

Thanks

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

3. MikeyH

MikeyH Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Thanks Doom - still a small number in the UK.

So looking at that not much benefit until I start using a twinset? I really need to understand where this sits - more investigation needed as I really don't understand how it works for someone like me just starting out.

4. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

DIR was an approach to diving, an ethos if you will. GUE is the largest training organisation to promote the DIR method of diving.

Huge benefit of diving with a single cylinder - IF you dive with other GUE divers. The number of GUE divers in the UK is approximately 500, which sounds small compared to the number of PADI or BSAC divers, except they are all together in one Facebook group and go diving constantly, which makes us almost certainly the largest single group of divers in the UK

Admittedly the number of GUE divers using single cylinders is small, but the whole point of GUE is that you can mix single tank divers with twinset divers, or rebreather divers, or whatever, and most of the procedures remain exactly the same.

Heres a short article on what is DIR http://www.divedir.com/Theory-articles/what-is-dir-anyway.html

Theres a few articles on that site (it's mine) that you might find helpful.

5. MikeyH

MikeyH Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Thanks Gareth - I will check it out.

I was aware of the FB page but thought being only just out of OW it wasn't appropriate for me to get involved yet! Not sure how to get into it as a newbie. I guess I have to continue with PADI or BSAC and run with DIR alongside?

6. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Just go diving If you are interested in GUE read about it and go diving with GUE divers. We'll dive with anyone :)

Theres a few GUE people on here, or just drop me a PM with your facebook name and I'll add you to the group

7. Doomanic

Staff Member

Wrong. So very, very wrong. :D

The earlier you start down the DIR route, the easier it will be for you. Fundies can be done on a single, although you will need a BP and wing (which can be borrowed for the course) and will be of massive benefit.

I wish I'd started earlier and if my son decided he wanted to start diving I'd do everything I could to get him on GUE Rec1.

8. MikeyH

MikeyH Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Doom - I agree, but wasn't sure if it was advisable or condoned. I bought a wing as soon as I have finished my OW ( I was advised not too by a number of people as I was so inexperienced - I took my own counsel and I much prefer it BTW). I also got my LDS to change my reg. Config. over to long-hose when I completed the OW also. I am trimmed out for horizontal, ascent, descent and, of course, the dive itself - enjoying getting the hang of that - WIP of course. I practice trying to achieve real neutral bouyancy breathing in the "middle" of my lungs. I am doing all this by just reading advice on the internet, here, youtube etc. etc. and I will check out Gareth's web-site.

It would be nice to get some time in with GUE enthusiasts, but thought it was too early yet. I only did my dry suit course 2 weeks ago so I want to experiment with that for a while i.e. Underwater bouyancy control using just the DS (as per the training course) and DS squeeze + wing - need a bit of time to get comfortable with that and keeping trim under control :)

GUE Rec 1 - know nothing about that - will now look.

Wibble likes this.
  9. Doomanic

Staff Member

Where do you live Mikey? Perhaps we could meet up at some point.

10. Andy Stevenson

Andy Stevenson Administrator

What Dom said. Happy to jump in with you.

11. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

The other (newer, smaller) DIR-philosophy Agency that I know of is Unified Team Diving (UTD).

I know little more about it than that.

12. MikeyH

MikeyH Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Thanks guys - I live near Bournemouth and use Vobster - up there tomorrow to get some more DS buoyancy practice in.

I will see what comes up about UTD.

13. Doomanic

Staff Member

We're often at NDAC, which isn't that far from Vobster.
    Not a lot in the UK I would imagine.

14. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I was actually at Vobster today redoing my fundamentals course. I first did this course 9 years ago in a single cylinder and a wetsuit so you are already one up on how I was back then being in a drysuit already.

Back then when I first attempted it I was pretty green (only 25 dives) but got a lot out of the course (even though I didn't pass). It's not just a course for aspiring cave divers or techies but I genuinely believe it'll improve trim/buoyancy proficiency in anyone.

15. Doomanic

Staff Member

How did it go? :nailbiting:

16. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Well. Much better than last time.

Tech pass.

Wibble likes this.
  17. Doomanic

Staff Member

18. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

Congratulations..... big leap from no pass to a Tech pass.... well done buddy!

19. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Well it has been 9 bloody years (don't know why I left it so long).

Doomanic, I'll be in touch once Becky/Will are back and I'll get to NDAC to dive with you.

20. Doomanic

Staff Member

Cool. If you don't want to wait that long, I'm there on Saturday with my Fundies Teammate.