1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devon & Severn Inshore Fisheries & Conservation Authority - your chance to make a difference

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Sarah_G, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Sarah_G

Sarah_G New Member

Dear Diver,

I would like to invite you to participate in our research to monitor the effectiveness of the Devon & Severn Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authorities (D&SIFCAs) stakeholder engagement. The IFCAs were established in April 2011 and replaced the Sea Fisheries Committees following the Marine and Coastal Access Act (2009) which modernised inshore sea fisheries resource management in England.

They are responsible for inshore waters up to 6 nautical miles, and their aim is to "lead, champion and manage a sustainable marine environment and inshore fisheries, by successfully securing the right balance between social, environmental and economic benefits to ensure healthy seas, sustainable fisheries and a viable industry". (1)

The D&SIFCA is working to strengthen its existing stakeholder relationships, and to develop new and more efficient ways of working. As part of this work a questionnaire has been developed by Sarah Gall and Lynda Rodwell at Plymouth University which is designed to assess the effectiveness of stakeholder engagement by D&SIFCA since its inception one year ago.

It is important that the diving community are given the chance to share their views. If you live or dive in the Devon & Severn area then we would really appreciate it if you could spare a few minutes to complete our questionnaire. It is intended that the study will be repeated in subsequent years to provide both positive and negative feedback from which stakeholder relations can be improved and strengthened. Your views are very important if future management and stakeholder engagement is to be effective.

The survey should take approximately 15 minutes to complete and can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/ifca-effectiveness-survey. All information provided will remain confidential and will be handled anonymously. Only aggregated data will be used in analysis and reporting. You have the right to withdraw from the survey at any time.

If you would like further information about this research or have concerns, please contact Sarah Gall (sarah.gall@plymouth.ac.uk) or Lynda Rodwell (lynda.rodwell@plymouth.ac.uk).

Thanking you in advance for your participation,

Sarah

Sarah Gall
    Marine Institute,
    Level 3, Marine Building,
    Plymouth University,
    Drake Circus,
    Devon,
    PL4 8AA,
    UK

sarah.gall@plymouth.ac.uk

(1) Defra (2011): Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authorities (IFCAs). Available at: http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/marine/wwo/ifca/. Accessed 13/04/2012

2. DaveS

DaveS Play nice. Enjoy UKD

Sarah,
    I can't take part in the survey because there's no option for 'other location' in the 1st question. Whilst I can see how gathering information from people only in the area is useful but there are some of us who visit and dive regularly and could provide equally useful feedback.
    Dave

3. Sarah_G

Sarah_G New Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your message, and apologies for my oversight in not including an 'other' option on the 1st question. I have now added this option in and hope that you, and others who had a similar problem may now like to take part. I would really appreciate your input and feedback.

Many thanks,

Sarah