1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cylinder testing - best price/location/service?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Wibble, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I'm collecting a fair few cylinders now - 9 at the last count. No, 10 with the suit inflate.

These need testing on a regular basis. I've used my Local Dive Shops who send them off, adding their margin. But now it's getting expensive. I need to get a twinset and two stages hydro tested + O2 cleaned which would be ~£220 at my LDS + fills.

NDACs prices seem better - £35 compared with £50 at the LDS. What's their turnaround times?

Recommendations on the South East / South coast?

2. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Cylinder testing is not cheap. It takes time and someone is looking to make a living doing it.

Once you factor in fuel cost and time I suspect geography may be more significant than price.

Your LDS may not be the cheapest. However, if you are spending time and petrol to avoid supporting them is that the best choice? After all, you want them to keep their compressor in service.

Zubar likes this.
  3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I use NDAC myself but you could look at using Safety air services near Portsmouth, that's where most dive shops down here send them to. There used to be a place in Burgess hill called G-Squared engineering that used to do testing, they were cheap but not sure if it's still there. Amphibian in London are good but it's a pain to get to.

What are all your cylinders? I have a twinset (2) a 7l (3), an 80 (4) and suit inflate (5).

4. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Out of interest, any reason for NDAC rather than Divecrew? I've used them a few times with no issues. But that's all I use them for though. Is NDAC worth the extra time?

Just did a quick count myself; 9 singles (2x 12, 3x 15, 2x 80, 1x 7, 1x40), 2x twinsets & 2x suit inflates. Plus another 4x singles, 1x twinset & 1x suit for SWMBO. Luckily most of the tests are staggered.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Mainly convenience as I could dive at NDAC and then just leave my cylinders there. They'd be ready for me next time I go. I don't even use Dive Crew for fills anymore as whenever I have used them before I have gotten really crappy fills. I think NDAC are likely to be cheaper too as their prices are pretty competitive.

timmyg likes this.
  6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

2 x ali80, 2 x ali7, 1 x ali40, 2 x 12litre twinsets, 1 x suit inflate. Now set up for pretty much all profiles.

I definitely don't begrudge paying for people to do a proper job in testing & cleaning. What I need to do is eliminate the margins by going directly. Problem with that lot is at £50/cylinder for a hydro plus £28/year for O2 cleaning it adds up a a lot. Compare that with, say, NDAC's prices at £35 - that's a saving of £150 (£15 x 10 tins) which is worth having. Although that's easily lost in the cost of driving to drop them off/pickup.

7. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I feel your pain.

I current have the following;
    2 x 3L, both in test, both out of O2. Hmm, that could be a problem...
    Al7, in test til June, out of O2. Currently full of O2.
    Al80 #1, 50%, in test til May, out of O2.
    Al80#2, 18/35, out of test
    Al80#3, 15/55, in test, out of O2. US DOT cylinder, could pose a problem in the future.
    Twin 12's bank, freshly tested an cleaned and out on loan.

8. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

These folk do it themselves and can turn things round quickly if you ask nicely
    http://www.gheng.com/Diving_Services.html

9. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

You could sell some cylinders to finance the testing of the rest.:whistling:

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Thanks - hmm, also at Gatwick...

Haven't even got to the regulator servicing yet... Seriously thinking of doing a reg servicing course.

Have collected quite a few stage reg sets (3, might be 4) and two sets of twinset regs -- one of which is destined to be reconfigured for sidemount.

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Thanks for that - will try to call them tomorrow.

12. Colliwobbles

Colliwobbles Active Member

Is there any confirmation of the annual inspections that have been mooted about lately?
    I've heard through the duty rumour that is supposed to be end of the year it starts, however, nothing definitive.

With 2xtwin 12's, 3x single 12's, 2x15's, 6x10's, 1x3ltr, 4x7's, 5xali80's, and a drysuit bottle I think I may need to take another mortgage out or do some.more work for my LDS!!

13. Doomanic

Staff Member

WTF do you need that lot for?

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Not heard yet, but my LDS keeps rubbing his hands in glee -- would even give you the comfy chair with that lot of tins!

TBH for "technical" divers needing O2 cleaning it's just a change from 15 months to 12 as an inspection can be done at the same time as the O2 clean & service. But it does jack up the costs by 25% though.

Can't help but feel that BSAC didn't do enough to fight this off.

15. Colliwobbles

Colliwobbles Active Member

How else am I supposed to stay down as long as you bubble less buffoons???

I do teach a bit as well ;)

Wibble likes this.
  16. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you have any evidence of this? As you couldn't be more wrong.

Like it or not, and I hope it doesn't happen, the annual visual has been in for years in many countries.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

17. Doomanic

Staff Member

Normally I'd say "by joining us" but after today's fubar you could probably get a better run time on a breath-hold... :(

Andy Stevenson likes this.
  18. Baron015

Baron015 New Member

Just picked up 16 cylinders from testing, cleaning and refilling. Ouch. And that's not even all the cylinders I own. Diving is crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Kent diving do a good service. In house and usually no more than a week. Gas prices ok for round london way. Cylinder testing I think is about £120 twinset test and clean.

20. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Biggest arse ache is the logistics of all this testing malarkey, even without the possible 12 month issue.