1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current favourite membrane suits

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by furryman, Sep 5, 2020.

1. snattrass

snattrass New Member

@nickb how does your Santi Elite+ compare to your DUI CLX?

I've an aging TLS350 (and spare CLX), which while being a nice flexibile suit to dive, is always leaking and I'm keeping McNett in business with all the Aquasure I repair it with. A new (membrane) suit is on the cards and I want something very similar to what I have in terms of flexibility but more robust.

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I had a TLS350 and moved to an E.Motion+ this is lovely and flexible but a little too lightweight in places for me, if buying again I'd likely go for the slightly harder wearing E.Lite+

snattrass likes this.
  3. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I was very happy with my old CLX in general but it was second-hand and cut for someone with shorter legs than mine so was a little awkward to dive with.

I brought a TLS but that was junk in comparison. Support for DUI suits was a little shit too. I ended-up sending the CLX to San Diego for some work as it was cheaper than getting it done here at the time.

Support for Santi is fantastic in comparison. Repairs are inexpensive (at least for the original purchaser) and turned around quickly. I'd say that the cut and finish of Santi suits knocks DUI into a cocked-hat. No comparison IMHO.

If I were looking to buy another suit, it would be another Santi. But as I have two Santis and an Ursuit, that would be a bit unnecessary :D

snattrass likes this.
  4. snattrass

snattrass New Member

@jb2cool , @nickb where did you get fitted for your suits?

My TLS was also second hand (and also a MTM Signature Series) but the guy I bought it from was pretty much my double size and build. I want to make sure the size and cut of any new suit are good for diving year round including fitting a BZ400 under it which I use for the winter. I'm not sure I trust self measuring at home and I'd like someone who knows what they're doing. I'm based in the North East, but happy to travel to get to the job done properly.

Are the Santii seams taped our "painted on Aqausure" sealed like DUIs? I was under the impression (I could be wrong) that Aquasure was better as it's more flexible/robust and taping was the cheaper option as it's quicker to install.

Yeah I've come to that conclusion myself....

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I got measured up in my dining room, the seller came to me. I got measured up by Rich Walker (GUE instructor and Santi dealer). Being in the north west though you are not really in his line of fire though as he’s south/south west based.

Seams are stitched, glued and taped.........I think, been a while since I saw my suit last.

snattrass likes this.
  6. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I got a friend to do the measurements. The chart is very self-explanatory and the cut allows for a BZ400 to be worn beneath. The seams are all sealed with a tough, rubberised tape.

snattrass likes this.