1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consumer rights

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Dean areon, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Dean areon

Dean areon New Member

Good morning
    Wondering if can anyone advise me
    I have had my oceanic drysuite for around 18 months and purchased new and since I brought it it has been back to oceanic 3 or.possibly four times with it still.leaking I have been in the pool where purchased from and they have seen it leaking and now it's got to the point where my socks are wet it started off in the left arm around my auto dump but they have changed the auto dump so they have said so.my real question Is can I get a refund or exchange, and who is the issue with oceanic to replace or place of purchase or have I just got to accept that it is what it is
    Many thanks Dean

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Has the shop you bought it from always sent it back to Oceanic?

Your 'contract' is with the shop, not Oceanic. However it might be possible to lean on Oceanic to replace their faulty suit.

3. Dean areon

Dean areon New Member

They have sent it back twice I have sent it directly myself oceanic are saying it's down to the retailer but not sure myself

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It is up to the retailer.

What's their attitude to this? Can they get on to Oceanic to get them to replace it as (one assumes) the suit's always leaked. Have you done many dives with it? Have any been dry?

5. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

If you paid with a credit card (not debit card) the the card company is also jointly liable with the retailer. Get to the point when you reject the goods as being not fit for purpose, then if the retailer doesn't want to refund you, go for the card company under Section 75 of the consumer credit act
    (I am not a lawyer)

6. Dean areon

Dean areon New Member

HI
    No dry dives, done about 20 dives with some being the usual 2 or 3 dives a day and wetter each time have been in contact with shop they are saying we can send it back and if no fault nothing can be done ?
    Plus they were preety rude in saying you brought an.off the peg reduced suite not happy with there attitude towards that
    Regards
    Dea.

7. Dean areon

Dean areon New Member

Oh I didn't realise you could do that and as it happens it was purchased with credit cars
    Regards
    Dean

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It's really with the shop though. Need to be firm about it and stress that it's *never* been dry and that you've really come to the end of your tether with the suit, having given them ample opportunity to get it sorted. It really is the shop's problem to deal with the supplier, it is absolutely not your problem to deal with the supplier.

The usual advice is to be polite but firm with them; you appreciate all they've done, but it's obviously a duff suit, so you either need a replacement or a refund. Just to be clear, unless the shop sold it to you as "second rate quality" with known defects (which I doubt they did), then it matters not that it's a cheap / sale item. If they've flogged you a broken suit and didn't tell you about it, then you're entitled to a refund (just like on eBay).

Also, drysuits do get a little damp inside. This is condensation and not leaking. You need to make sure that they know this problem isn't just condensation. You may need to do a test dive in a pool with dry underclothes to show the leak(s).

Good luck.