1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compact UW camera

Discussion in 'Underwater Photography/Videography' started by MikeyH, Jan 1, 2016.

1. MikeyH

MikeyH Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Looking for a simple point and shoot camera for pictures (not video).

I have found 2 possibilities so far - Canon Powershot D30 (rated to 25m) and the Nikon coolpix AW130 (rated to 30m).

Any thoughts?

2. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Well firstly Nikon say the coolpiks is only good to 18m

They look ok for shallow reef dives, Sharm/Maldives/Med etc, for simple 'Look a fish!' pictures.
    Simple cheap and compact.
    Edit I have an old Intova one that bare is good to 3m and then has a housing for deeper, I have however freedived it bare to much more that 3m for a min or so and it's been fine so the Canon may be ok for simple stuff.

Don't for one min think that 'only for photos' means that makes it any less complicated, the serious stills kit runs at £3000 and then some!!!

I have a Cannon S120, Ikelite housing, Inon Wide lens, Ultralight tray as a starter set. I am very much 'all the gear and little idea' at the moment.
    This lot cost about £500.

C

#2 Zubar, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The GoPro cameras are reasonable and cheapish. They're all rated to 40 metres. They take reasonable stills, but as with all cameras, it's more about the lighting.

Example is the GoPro 4 Silver which goes for about £250 and includes a back-mounted display.

4. minus273degrees

minus273degrees Active Member

I rate the SJ series if you want a cheaper alternative to the GoPro. I have the SJ4000 and have seen very little difference from the GoPro. I think they are on the SJ5000 now.