1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Community Seagrass Initiative - Looe to Weymouth

Discussion in 'Wildlife and Ecology' started by MikeyH, Dec 24, 2015.

1. MikeyH

MikeyH Active Member
    UKD Supporter

This might be of interest for those of us who dive on the South Coast in the South West region..

http://www.csi-seagrass.co.uk/

Community Seagrass Initiative
    The Community Seagrass Initiative is a citizen science project aiming to raise awareness of seagrass habitats in the South West of England.

CSI is a pioneering research project led by the National Marine Aquarium. Covering the 191 mile stretch of coastline from Looe in Cornwall, to Weymouth in Dorset, it will look to find out more about native seagrass and seahorses and help to conserve their fragile eco-systems. The aim is to engage coastal communities with their special marine habitats to raise awareness and promote conservation. Everyone from school children, sailors, canoeists, divers, kayakers and even internet users can get involved and help collect vital data that will aid the mapping and surveying of seagrass meadows along the south coast.

Seagrass is one of the world’s only marine flowering plants, which creates large meadows in shallow waters on sandy seabed. There are many seagrass meadows, or beds, around the South West of the UK and West coast of Scotland. The meadows act like an underwater rainforest, providing shelter for all sorts of marine species, on an otherwise featureless seabed. Seagrass meadows are home to some of the most charismatic species in the UK such as seahorses and cuttlefish, and act as a nursery ground for commercial fish species. They can also improve water quality and stabilise sediments, reducing coastal erosion.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

For years the sailing community has had issues with some environmental pressure groups. In short the environmental groups appear to want to severely restrict access to regular cruising grounds and I could see this applying to diving too.

One of the key areas was -- and still is AFAIAA -- Studland Bay to the east of Swanage. Info here and here - there's lots of other areas that have been targeted too, such as the East Coast (Thames Estruary).

3. MikeyH

MikeyH Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Hi Wibble - yes indeed. I live not too far from Studland Bay and I am aware of the friction there with the reports of alleged damage being caused by anchor chains. The last I heard was that nothing is changing there.
    There was a proposal to put permanet moorings down for visitors to use, but not to "severely restrict access" ,as you put it, as far as I am aware, but not sure if that has gone anywhere as there was opposition to this idea.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It always struck me that they could have easily put in a load of permanent and non destructive moorings but for some reason the row ended up in a massive bun fight.

Was similar in the East Coast which appeared to be driven by some odd "science" that ruffled a few feathers - the term ecomentalist described it nicely.

Nice place BTW. I did my first Swanage dive in October. Will definitely be heading back there next year for a few dives.

5. MikeyH

MikeyH Active Member
    UKD Supporter

I will join you on the pier sometime!