1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commando BCD

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by SimonL, Sep 11, 2017.

1. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

I’d end up with a box of spare bits too - exactly one BCD’s worth !

2. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Depending on age the commando has three variants of dump the most common being the
    pre 2007 AP5, while post 2007 it's the APV5. As you mentioned a spanner and this is the
    only tool listed for this on the AP site i'm going with a pre 2007 Commando :)

Grab the backing to the dump through the material/bladder. Place a monkey wrench like this
    (soft jawed ones are the best if you have one or use a thin bit of cotton over the jaws)
    [​IMG]

on the flat of the flange and grip tightly the plastic knurled bit (this is the bit that the AP spanner
    grips)
    . Now unscrew, making sure the backing pad does not move. If you get a good grip and are
    careful the plastic is quite resilient. I have the AP spanner and do use it sometimes, but in the main
    the above works as well if not better if it's stuck on.

Once off look at the spring as that's usually the main culprit. If it's rusted or corroded it won't work
    and needs to be replaced. Next look at the rubber flat washer. This will be in the centre of the bit still
    on the BC. You should be able to lift the edge easy.

Can get spares for this from AP and even if you mess up a complete new unit is £20 and takes
    a couple of minutes to fit.

pgarrish and Zubar like this.
  3. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

I suspect it’s very pre 2007. I’ll have a go tmrw - I have a wrench I could use. Thanks for the help and advice

4. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

So as per my NW diver intro thread, I was able to fix the dump valve (the little plastic thingy under the inner seal was in the way) and all seems well. But I had emailed AP in the meantime and got this lovely reply today! Bear in mind, my BCD is who knows how old, bought second hand, and is probably ex-MOD so may never have been paid for :) and I get a response like that - looks like AP's legendary customer service is still going strong.

"
    Hi Paul,

Thank you for your enquiry – Please let me have your full postal address and I will pop some Dump Valve seals in the post for you :)

kind regards,

Alison Clarke

BCD Sales Office Manager

Tel: +44 1326 561040

Fax: +44 1326 573605

www.apdiving.com

[​IMG]
    "

NickPicks, minus273degrees and Wibble like this.
  5. pgarrish

pgarrish Member

A very belated follow up to this. I never did change that seal as the valve fix was so easy - I should have though. I sent the bcd to AP for a service earlier this year - a slightly painful £97 but they appear to have replaced all the seals, repaired the torn Velcro on the pocket and posted it back - it also has new cylinder straps with rubber bits for better grip and looks like new

It’s been confirmed as an old milspec unit - in good nick in their view and really only needing a service every 3 years at my usage rate as it’s designed to be used day in day out by a navy diver... they also dug out a copy of the original drawings for me (it has lots of interesting Velcro loops I wanted to understand) and were very helpful

I need some hose wrap now - other than my second reg and the clip which are yellow, I’m now in black from head to toe just need the skills to match the looks now

Wibble likes this.