1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clearout

Discussion in 'Personal Ads' started by Leeb2018, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

Hi guys I am having a little bit of a clear out so have few bits up for sale. Everything is plus p&p or collection Essex. May possibly be able to meet at dive centres depending on plans. Any questions please ask.

I am having issues uploading photos but if you are intrested in any thing send me your email and I will forward photos.

AP Rebreather OCB with gas connection kit from stages. £525
    Northern diver artic undersuit xl top large bottoms size 10 socks. £25
    Northern diver dry glove system. £30
    Twin 12s with custom diver wing harness and backplate. 4kg Vee weights. £575
    Bever tech weight harness. £25
    Otter Artic Commerical 200. Can not see size on tag but I am 6' medium build and it fits. £50
    Cressi air, depth and compass console. £30

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Why don't you want the OCB? Are you getting a Golem?

3. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

staying with standard mouth piece

4. nickb

nickb Active Member

Wise man

Lots of BOVs for sale lately, including many Golem ones. People are finally realising that BOVs carry as many, if not more, risks than a DSV.

I wouldn’t have one again.

5. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

@nickb

Aside from bailing out to the wrong gas for the depth, what other risks are there?

Ta

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Ever since I was on a boat where a guy bit through his bailout mouthpiece as he jumped in -- pretty much the only common component -- BOVs lost their shine. Isn't the simplicity of a separate bailout cylinder+regulators better; muscle memory and all that?

7. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

But there seems to be so much evidence (ok, only anecdotal that I’ve read) that points to the diver suffering a CO2 hit being unable to pause their breathing to swap mouth pieces.

If the only two negatives are those referenced in this thread so far, I’d seriously consider going for a BOV if I was ever to head down the CCR route.

8. Doomanic

Staff Member

The first upgrade I bought was a BOV and the required hoses to plumb it in to offboard gas.

Some people will argue strongly for, while some will argue strongly against. My instructor and my mentor (different people) both use BOVs. As a novice that was good enough for me until such time that I had amassed enough experience to make my own mind up. Didn't happen, obviously, but if I got back into diving and CCR I'd have a BOV again, albeit a Golem over an AP.

9. Doomanic

Staff Member

Why? His dive was over either way until the mouthpiece was replaced.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I inferred that he'd taken a lot longer to work out what was going on, switching from the loop to bailout and back. It struck me that if the reaction was to grab the reg off the bailout tin and come off the loop it would have been resolved with much less effort and confusion.

(Similar happened to me on OC where my mouthpiece came off my reg and was still in my mouth when I jumped in. Took a surprisingly long time to work out what was going on, eating into the precious few seconds where you can't breathe and before the panic reaction kicks in.)

11. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

When I saw one for sale I did the same. It came with all the AP GCS for offboard plumbing but that has never been used.

I have the BOV on a miflex hose plumbed into the first stage of my diluent and is merely for a few sanity breaths whilst I get my offboard ready for use.

As I don't bail out (rebreathers are actually very reliable) I have contemplated reverting to the lighter mouthpiece.

However, the last time I did a deep bailout drill I was glad of the BOV. After bailing out to the BOV and switching to my deep bailout I was disappointed to find it wasn't turned on! :eek: The BOV gave me a few unstressed moments to get this resolved. This was fortunate as I had two buddies with me; one was contemplating offering me an unsuitable gas (32% at 60m) whilst the other was incapacitated with laughter at my dilemma! NDAC, and the horrid process of getting from car to water, has a knack of leading me to make silly errors.

The captured o-ring in the mouthpiece, which forms the seal is a single point of failure for both CCR and OC use of the AP BOV. I have had it come unseated and my only dry gas was offboard. Apart from drilling, that was the second time I actually bailed and was over seven years ago.

BOV vs. no BOV is a matter of preference and choice, just like the type and volume of bailout used, and so long as you are competent and confident to use your chosen option that is good. Like most CCR divers I don't practice a bailout ascent as often as I should.

Wibble likes this.
  12. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

14. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

One does, the other does not.

15. Doomanic

Staff Member

I'd go with one definitely does not, the other is leaning towards it.

16. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I don’t use a BOV. Never felt the need. Each to their own.