1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning the inside of a drysuit

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Alex Denny, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I have an Otter trilaminate membrane drysuit that gets worn a lot... After several energetic trips wearing it in and out of mine shafts in Wales and Derbyshire, sweating like a leak in a frying pan, and then trips where the suit has been worn continuously over consecutive days, it's getting a bit manky smelling. What's the best way of cleaning the inside properly?

I want it clean but don't want to use any cleaning products that might attack the seals etc.

What does the hive mind of UKD suggest?

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Inside out, do up zip or zip cover (to keep the shape). Then a bowl of water with some washing up liquid and use a deck brush or nail brush to clean. Hose off. Hang inside out to dry.

Easier with socks not boots.

Main thing is to always dry it thoroughly inside and out before putting away. Use of one of those UK Hangair hangers is great if it's damp inside. I store mine hanging on the Hangair in the garage - winch it up to the ceiling on a bike lift.

3. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Washing up liquid and a stiff brush for me as well.

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

When I was sailing, my wife used to put my wet suit through the washing machine - sweat and salt water make an evil mixture. Don't think the valves would be happy with a dry suit. I got a packet of dry suit cleaner with my new suit but, I suspect, that it is only as good as washing up liquid and a stiff brush.

5. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Thanks - there's a pattern forming which is encouraging! I might need to buy a dryer hanger thingie. (For some reason, I always dry the outside first, because it's wetter, and then dry the inside, but maybe that's the wrong way round as the outside gets repeatedly rinsed?)

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Them there Hangair things mean that both sides get dried. I only leave the fan on for a few hours. I also leave the dryzip undone, but the cover zip done up; leaving the damp air an exit route.

If it's really wet - had problems with leaking socks - I would leave a leg hanging out, inside out, for a couple of days.

But gentle soapy water's probably best. Maybe there's some special expensive stuff; in the mean time there's Fairy Liquid - as Hans that does dishes is as soft as Jervais with mild green furry lip squid

7. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

After rinsing outside, and sometime inside, my suit drips for a while draped over a set of step ladders in the garden and then lives for a while on a suit hanger in the hall, suspended from a bungee. When I walk by it I pat the suit to force an exchange of air. This low-tech approach has worked for years and usually has it ready for service in a day or so.

As @Wibble observed, socks allow inside out drying much better.

8. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

People wash the inside of their suits?

Iain Denham and Mako-JD like this.
  9. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Not normally but sometimes my nose, or my wife, will suggests it is needs to be done. This can coincide with the periodic washing of the undersuit and maybe due to ingress of sea water.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

My wife did ask what had died in the spare room where my diving undersuiit kit is hung up... I've gone nose blind to it!

11. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

People wash their undersuits :wideyed:

Actually reminds me , last year we went to scapa about now. On shipping our kit onto the boat , Emily, the skipper, refused to let one of our bunch back on until he took his under suit off and washed it :vomit:

furryman, Mako-JD and Wibble like this.
  12. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I clearly haven't washed the inside of my suit before, or I wouldn't be asking!

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I took my under-trousers in for braces to be added. They refused to do anything until they were washed!

Mako-JD likes this.
  14. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Bunch of dirty bastards!

15. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

I must be a right minger. About 100 dives on my suit and never washed inside.

My thinsulate gets a wash pretty regular.

16. reefer

reefer Member

My god. Do you lot not wash your under suits after ever dive session. Why would you treat your under suits any differently to your underwear ? :geek:

Is there any value in having some kind of Silicon bag to absorb moisture kept inside the dry suit - if such a thing exists?

17. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

reefer likes this.
  18. JimmE

JimmE New Member

I used a weak solution of VWP to clean my neoprene dry suit at the beginning of this year as I realised my ubdersuit was getting smelly very quickly and requiring more frequent washing than previously. Made a huge difference but took ages to try - I also now have one of the 'hangair' hangers but haven't needed to wash the inside of the suit again yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefer likes this.
  19. reefer

reefer Member

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Never noticed the end of the season: I dive throughout the year.