1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a new camera

Discussion in 'Underwater Photography/Videography' started by Griffalo, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Excellent link, thanks.

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

One of the downsides with raw is that some of the time they look worse than the jpeg as no processing has been done on them, this may mean that you have to fix up every photo you take. Most cameras will let you capture both raw and jpeg though so that you get an instant processed image and then for the ones you want to go to town on you have the raw data. I toyed with raw in the past and just went back to jpeg. Maybe it's time to revisit it.

4. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Seconded. :D

5. CasualRob

CasualRob New Member

A tad late in replying sorry, the article on Raw vs JPEG just about covers it all, Basically you will need Camera Raw prog to manipulate the photo then open it into Photoshop, so a bit more messing about than just dealing with a straight JPEG photo.

Shooting in is Raw is amazing in that once you have pressed the shutter the whole image is recorded, so if for example you have totally under exposed the shot, you can open it in Camera Raw and change exposure values there.
    If the same photo had been shot in JPEG it would be lost.

Some people get a little bogged down here, is it better to shoot in Raw or JPEG, well are you good with the Camera or good with Photoshop.

6. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

It's still better to get the exposure right in the camera, as you'll lose some quality by adjusting it later, but RAW will let you correct things like colour balance in post processing without losing image quality.

7. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I have used the free Canon raw editor which seemed ok for playing around. The WB picker tool is handy. But I'm no pro user though.

8. snowman

snowman Active Member

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

It's not genuinely free. It's out there for people that already own a license but are unable to activate this due to the activation servers being shut down.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Gimp?
    (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

11. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Powerful but a pain in the ass to use. I'm no expert in Photoshop but I can handle my own but in GIMP I'm next to useless, I have to Google most tasks.