1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change of Undersuit

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by reefer, Apr 19, 2018.

1. reefer

reefer Member

How does the Polar D undersuit compare to the Fourth Element Artic thickness wise ? I'm hoping the Artic will be thinner.

I've been using the Polar D for a few dives now, and I'm thinking I want something a lot less bulky. I'm finding my movement is restricted with this under suit and getting air where I need it - into the legs isn't always easy.

As an experiment, I tried some thermal cycling leggings and top on in the pool the other week; and the difference was night and day for me.

I was able to vent air from the suit a lot easier with the cyling gear. Also adding air to the suit seemed to spread around alot easier - and I can get the air into
    the legs.
    Obviously cycling gear isn't going to provide enough thermal protection and also doesn't really have any 'structure' to it to hold off the dry suit material, hence my interest in the Artics.

Really interested to hear any opinions.

2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

No experience of polar D but looking at it on the web site I doubt it’ll be significantly different. The artics are reasonably thick as well. Before blowing good money I’d look at some artics first.

The cycle kit will feel great but as you say is a very different, that’s probably more comparable to FE xerotherm in terms of thickness.

For close fit and flexability the whites fusion gets good reviews but pricey.

3. reefer

reefer Member

Good points. I will take my Polar D along to a local store and compare material. You may will be right with your assertion on thickness.

It is also likely that the issues (even if in part) with venting air are down to my user error and general lack ofexperience.

I believe Stoney is a Fourth Element test centre, so I may be able to hire a set and try them out for a dive.

thanks for the tip on the whites fusion. I will take a look at this.

4. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I've got a Whites Fusion and quite like it. If you are anywhere nearby then you can have a look/try of it.

5. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Very happy with my Kwark Navy undersuit.

Warm enough, not bulky and does not impede my movement at all.

6. reefer

reefer Member

thanks all. Its clear that I actually need to try a different under suit on to see how I get on.

It may be that the bulky feeling I experience, is just part of the parcel of diving with a dry suit and I need to learn to deal with it.

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

If you want to complain about bulk, try diving with a 400g Thinsulate undersuit.

8. reefer

reefer Member

do you not struggle getting that to vent at times? that sounds like hell to me.

9. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

The Kwark is not at all bulky. I’ve worn it through winter, with the addition of some very thin thermals and a fleece vest, and not suffered too much with the cold.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

No experience with a full undersuit except trying one on under my Drysuits and I could hardly move.

FE Arctic Expedition top & trousers work well under my membrane suit. For warmer climes — non UK — I’ve a set of FE Xerotherm top & leggings.

That lot’s augmented with layers for winter conditions down to 2 or 3 degrees.

Happy to recommend the Arctic’s with one proviso, you need to get braces fitted to the trousers.

11. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

[QUOTE="Happy to recommend the Arctic’s with one proviso, you need to get braces fitted to the trousers.[/QUOTE]

You can get the artic as a 1 piece. More comfy but less choice if you just wanted to wear the top.

My mate has the artic and has switched to a Kwark 1 piece and likes it.

I think to an extent there is a need to adapt to the bulk of drysuit Diving but you do the the total system to be correct.

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

One piece v. two piece...

If you're lucky enough to fit a one piece...

I find that kitting up in a two piece means you don't have the bulky top when faffing with the trousers end. You don't need to put the top on until you're ready to zip up a d drop in, important on a boat or quarrioring.

Haven't heard a bad word about the Kwark Navy undersuit.

13. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I know someone who is less than impressed with it. Perhaps they were expecting too much from it though.

14. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Unless of course you buy Seaskin that are made to measure as standard - High Wick Thinsulate 150 £120, 250 is £14 more. I've only used mine a few times and it fitted well under my compressed neoprene suit - also Seaskin made to measure.

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What was their problem?

16. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

They were still cold in it when everyone else was saying how warm it was.

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Oh well, one down but seemingly loads of other happy people.

18. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I wouldn’t say mine is super warm, however it’s ok through winter when appropriately layered, but without being bulky.

19. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

It did look lovely and low bulk so perhaps they were just expecting too much from it

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Definitely think that bulk counts when it's bloody cold. That and lots of air in the drysuit. Squeeze is the enemy of warmth.