1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

certification PADI open water dives in southern England?

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by cir20, Jul 8, 2017.

1. cir20

cir20 New Member

My 12 year old son is completing his PADI OWD course online, and has done his pool dives.

I'm looking for a place to do his certification open water dives.

Can anyone recommend a dive shop/location?

Thanks,

Colin

2. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Who is he doing his pool dives with. Can they not conduct the OW dives? I did my whole training with an individual instructor. We did the confined water dives in a pool used by a local BSAC club. Although I am PADI certified. The same instructor conducted my OW dives at Stoney Cove in Leicestershire.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It's normally a good thing to stick with the same instructor through a course. So see if the people he did his pool dives with can do the open water dives.

However, if not, then what's your location? Can narrow down the dive shops / clubs.

pitdiver likes this.
  4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Easy answer Andark :)
    In addition to a pool onsite they also have there own lake.

[​IMG]

This is purpose built open water so a very easy transition from the pool and as in the picture you can chill onsite watching
    while the training takes place. It's only 7m deep, but as he's PADI Junior Open Water can be signed off at the lake :)

Extremely safe and controlled environment.

Ive just finished some Ocean Diver pool training in the Andark pooll last night and up there next weekend for the open water bits.

https://andark.co.uk/

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Curious; what was the temperature @Tel? Quite warm I'd guess?

Great location for this training.

6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dunno, was in the pool and that was a lovely temp just perfect :)

Can find out tomorrow, but it will be as good as the pool.
    For a first intro to UK diving and drysuit training for existing new to UK it's hard to beat
    for facilitates etc. Walk out the water, gas station 10m away, order a bacon butty and
    while it's being done chill on the terrace :)

We also use it for rescue/PRM line laying, DSMB and compass work. Anything in the syllabus
    that's shallow gets done here and then when we need the deeper stuff instead of stopping
    to do shallow skills we get more actually diving time. Works so well our teaching slates
    are now adapted to show skills that should (but not always) be done at Andark.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Dived there once at Christmas time a couple of years ago, so was a tad chilly but a good day. The shop had "left a present" in the lake to find - gave the SMB & reel to a youngster who appreciated it.

I've so much admiration for the chap who runs Andark. They needed a lake for training, so he dug his own. Real can-do spirit.

8. clique

clique Active Member

Alternative suggestion, would be Vobster Quays.

Chances are irrespective of who you end up with you'll either be going to Vobster Quays or the Andark Pond for the open water training.

Hope this helps,

Mike

9. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry disagree.

Vobster is our second home and you'll see us there most weekends for anything over 7m, but for a 12 year
    old straight out the pool with a different dive outfit that is restricted to 12m anyway, can't get better than the
    lake. Once trained then sure maybe a daytrip to Vobster do the plane etc would be great, but not now.

10. cir20

cir20 New Member

thank you all for your answers.

@pitdiver : we did the pool dives in Spain on holiday, so can't continue there.
    @Wibble : we're in London
    @Tel , @clique : thanks for the recommendations of Andark and Vobster. I'll contact both - and keep in mind your caveats.

11. clique

clique Active Member

If you're London based, it might be worth getting in touch with Wraysbury instead of Vobster Quays. They have a lake not to far from Heathrow so would be much easier to get to?

12. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

13. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

If you're in London, I'd recommend Wraysbury. It's just near Heathrow, good facilities (well, OK facilities), there's plenty of stuff to see underwater (depending on how many students have kicked up the silt). They have a dive school there so can do your certification dives.

If you're looking for a club / dive centre in London, where abouts? I know a few people who dive with Big Squid in Clapham. They do training at Wraysbury too.

14. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Or Southern Scuba (Buckland) also in North Kent. Or the sea? Margate has a centre?

15. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

Would also say Wraysbury and chances are if you choose another outfit they will most likley take you to Wraysbury anyway. They have a shallow confined area in the lake so your son can get some experince before heading straight of into the lake. They also have a fair few junior open water students going through the courses so likely to be with others his age in kit that fits. If you want an idependent instructor Simon from SMG scuba he works with a lot of the schools in the south so again has kit to fit younger people. I do know both have DM with both so happy to recomend, dont DM anymore just enjoy diving for myself.

16. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

If you are on the Northern side of London you could have a look at Rec2Tec in. Milton Keynes, or (confusingly similar name) rec-n-Tec in Herts. Both do their open water training in either Stoney Cove or Gildenburgh

17. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

I can thoroughly recommend Rec2Tec good bunch of guys. I did my try dive with them when they were known as platinum divers/divercity.