1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CCR/Helitrox Deco with Mark Powell - Malta April 2015

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by furryman, Apr 13, 2015.

1. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

I booked up for this as the timing was right although I knew it would be a bit of a push for me to go from out-of-practice deco diver to CCR baby in one hit. Always worth pushing limits when one is pushing the years.
    I knew it would be hard when my room-mate and buddy for the week was the same age as my son!

Day one
    Theory and history.
    Kit assembly and basic maintenance.
    Scrubber packing.
    Walking around the pool and observing the effects of oxygen and diluent injection.

Day two
    Blown out at first site, so long drive down to Valetta harbour.
    And back again, stopping briefly at the maritime museum.
    And on to a long theory session in the hotel.

Day three
    Two dives at gharlabsi. Nice little cove down a killer of a hill.
    60 mins and 75 mins.
    Buoyancy is completely different.
    May have one cell failing. Let's see what happens tomorrow.
    Theory sesssion on PPO2 calcs and functional aspects, also bailout calculations. Shit - a 7l won't be enough - ali 80 on the horizon.

Day four
    Cirkewwa
    Disaster. Unsettled while setting up. Misunderstood instructions from Mark. Moderately rough entry conditions. Difficulty descending and couldn't find dil inflator, bailed out to open circuit. Surfaced and got out. Spent the rest of the day fettling kit in the car park.
    Deco theory in the evening.

Day five
    Umm El faroud.
    Jumped in, descended easily. Found inflators easily. Long dive out to wreck and back. Nice ascent and descent. Then a second dive doing not very much except trying and failing to be neutrally buoyant. 104 minutes and 56 minutes.

Net result: four dives done, two with comfort. Four more to be done in the UK before certification can be contemplated. Roll on May Bank Holiday.

(Day six - nothing much - packing stuff up, a bit of sightseeing and found a cracking little posh restaurant in Mdina)

Overall - Mark's your man. He won't sign you off until YOU are ready. A pleasure to learn from one of the real experts (not like the internet warriors on here;)). As they say, pick your instructor, and make sure he/she actually does all the diving that he teaches

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

That's interesting. Are you carrying a single bailout tin?

3. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Yup.
    Try calculating for CO2 hit at 45 metres, 45-60 litres per minute, a couple of mins on the bottom and then a 10m/min no-deco dash to the surface. 7litres is tight...

4. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

:eek: Might rethink my hunt for a 7 in that case...