1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cave/Mine Diving

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by Leeb2018, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Hmmmmmmm

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The one slight issue is the site's closing at 1600 on Sat & Sun

3. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

yeah, he'll still be putting his kit together and might not be ready in time :)

5. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

1600 is ok with me. If we get there for opening it will be fine. All I need is to drysuit up and prebreath then I ready togo

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

They'll be dragging divers out of the water at 1500. So the usual modus operandi of faffing the morning away won't work!

I think JohnF's coming along too. Any others?

7. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

So the 22nd is a defo then. As I will sort out some accommodation for Saturday night for my self.

8. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I won’t be a deffo until close to the time. That close to Xmas the wife will want to be sorted for the big day. I expect we will be all done and just waiting on Santa. We’ve talked about ndac so it’s on the calendar, so I’m kinda hopeful.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I'm deffo for Sat. Might even look into staying over for Sunday (subject to approval, etc.)

Others?

10. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I coming up from essex. I been putting so many hours in at work that I don't think I will fancy journey both ways and diving. So I will stay up and any one who fancies drinks and food I am up for that.

11. John F

John F Member

Hi Chaps, unfortunately I won’t be along as I don’t get my dry suit back from O three until 23rd of Jan. nearly two months with no diving, I am already pull my hair out, what little there is.
    Have a good time and if you plan another day after I get my suit I would love to come.
    John.

12. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I am always up for diving. How come a they taking so long with your suit? @John F

13. John F

John F Member

It needs a new zip and neck seal, I think the zip is where the time is, and they have a big backlog of work. I bet all the warm weather only divers have got in before me.
    Have a good dive, hope to see you next time.

14. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

they can be very flexible. you could give them a call and tell them when you need to dive. they might surprise you.

15. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Reminds me of a dive earlier this year with a certain someone. We should have been in around 1400. Eventually got into the water about 1715.

splinter likes this.
  16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What an amazing and interesting day that was. Woke up in a caving "hut" north west Wales, did a couple of hours of single rope technique practice on a wall; drove for 2 hours through the beautiful Snowdonia and north Wales to get to the remote Cambrian Slate Mine. Took ages to find it as it's well hidden. Then portage our dive kit down a large steep slope covered in vegetation. Kit up in the cave (a massive thankyou to you for remembering the ground sheets to keep clean whilst dressing).

Then the dive. Gently in the water to not disturb the bottom, descend down a 25is degree tunnel to ~30 metres for an amazing exploration of the mine. Really interesting. Loads of fascinating artefacts including a pair of miner's hognail boots, trolley cars, etc. Ascent required a few mins of deco stops in the sloping tunnel.

Then out, change from diving kit to caving kit, pack up, lug the kit out, up from the big hole and slippery slope (need to bring a climbing rope!) and into the car.

Seriously interesting and an utterly amazing day.

@Leeb2018 - is that what you have in mind:)

17. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Makes my impromptu day today at Stoney in the rain feel almost pleasant! Let’s see how good these kubis are.

18. splinter

splinter Active Member

I'd love to join you on the 22nd, but too much to do before Xmas (got a kitchen to fit). I'd be up for a trip after Xmas or in the new year tho.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

19. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

We should plan more dives with everyone welcome to come be a good laugh and good diving. We defo have to sort some dates out next year.

@Wibble This is the bit putting me off. But some of the mines look like they worth the effort. I need more options for diving in the UK as queries are getting a little bit boring. But good place for skills. The sea can be very hit or miss. So the only other options is mines. But also I can see the mine course helping a lot with my wreck diving as it should give me a lot of lining out skills.

20. John F

John F Member

I think that’s a great idea, to do some uk divers days at Vobster or NDAC next year. It would be good to all get together and have a good chat, and do some diving.