1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cave/Mine Diving

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by Leeb2018, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Hi guys.

I am about to start diving in the mine/cave environments. To be honest the mines are appealing to me a bit more than the caves. I just wondered if how many of you guys on here dive mine/cave in the UK?

Cheers

Lee

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

There's quite a few people diving mines in the UK, mainly because diving caves is difficult due to our geology.

Have you done / researched any training?

The two initial locations are Dinas Silica Mine in wales (there's a writeup of some training on here) and Holme Bank Chert Mine in Bakewell.

Mine diving's great, but access is often a sod. I like the clear water and interesting industrial artefacts. I don't like carrying kit a long way! I find sidemount's easier simply because the kit's lighter to lug around if you've a couple of bergen-style bags to hump it around.

Have you read Martin Farr's book "Classic Dark Site Diving"?

3. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I prefer the look of mines due to the workings that are left behind. I done quite a bit of research. One of my mates has just started mine diving but he dives very little. I been talking to ian france about doing my ccr mine course.

The one thing that putting me off is how little mate dives. So would also like to find some more mine diving buddies here in the UK.

Is that book a good read?

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

"Classic Dark Site Diving" runs through lots of the different sites in the UK and abroad for diving. Includes Dinas & Holme Bank.

The most important thing is to get some basic training in overhead environments. You need to learn the line protocols and gain some experience under supervision. Make the mistakes there, not when diving with others!

The two mandatory rules are always have a continuous line all the way to the surface; and gas management -- absolute maximum of the rule of thirds. CCR will complicate that as it's down to bailout. There's many other rules, such as training, teamwork, etc.

Anyway, you won't have problems finding mine diving buddies on here:)

5. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I have been diving overhead environments for a while done some small caverns and a few larger caverns wouldn't really call them caves. I also done a lot of wreck diving. That includes line laying and following in basically zero vis and some times strong currents out in the channel. I am also good with team diving I am joining a experdition team to do some deep wrecks. So next year I am doing my 100m ccr ticket and already practicing for the team bailout from 100m. I am also very interested in learning all theory behind the mine diving. All the theory I learnt on my ccr up to my 60m trimix has been so valuable to my diving. My friend who done his mine course done a e-learning course turned up done for dives and got his cert. No classroom session. I didn't like the sound of that as if I paying a instructor my hard earned money I want a classroom theory session and have everything explained fully right up to the level I am learning too. I might be wrong but I sure there is a lot to learn on the theory side of things.

If there anyone who wants to let me tag along for some mine diving next year it would be awesome.

6. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

One other thing that been on my mind that you might be able to answer. I might just be plumb but when lining out in a mine are they many things to line off on. I know when your on a wreck there all ways something to wrap your line around. I know I will learn this on the course but I just been thinking about it

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Most mines have main line already laid. You will wrap your initial line, possibly a spool, around something just above the water, then run it down to the main line and suitably mark it with a cookie or pegs. You then follow the main line until you 'jump' off to another tunnel, where you mark the point with an "out" arrow (or cookies) and run a jump line to the main line in that tunnel, or use your long reel, running out your own line.

You always assume you'll be swimming out in zero vis, so you always think of the markings at any confusing point; jumps, tie-offs, etc. Generally you'll 'show' a tie-off to your team-mates so they understand the layout of the 'interesting' point.

Mines tend to have plenty of suitable tie-off points and tend to be fairly straight. Obviously avoid pit props!

Lighting is an issue, more of an embuggerance really. When tying off you need both hands. Whilst a Goodman handle's OK for normal things, it can be awkward when handling a reel + cookies, etc. Clipping the torch off just points the light downwards, not forwards to light your hands. Thus helmet-mounted lights are best for this, possibly 'parking' the main torch when tying off.

British cave divers tend to use helmet-mounted torches due to this matching what they'd use when caving. Some lovely examples available for dual diving + caving torches, such as a Scurion. Helmet-mounting is very convenient as it lights where you look, it's using a place that's always there (your head!), and tends to be out of the way of the rest of your diving kit.

Consider three torches as the absolute minimum. Bring enough line to lay the whole distance if there's no mainline or if that line's damaged.

Line protocols are the major component of any cave / cavern diving course, getting progressively more complex as you move through to "full cave courses".

The good news is line laying practice can be done in a mucky puddle / quarry. A blackout mask cover giving that complete zero vis experience.

8. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Lee,

Your mad :droid:. Good luck , come over and have a beer and tell us about it.

Are you and Geoff doing the Milford?

P

9. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

@Wibble thanks for the info. Hopefully I get my course done early next year. Then I have to get some mine diving in. You seem to very experienced in mine diving. If you diving anything where I could tag along your have to give me a shout.

@Vanny Mad is the best way to be haha. I am doing my 100m ticket on the milford haven. I think Geoff planning on doing it too. You guys got much diving planned soon? Geoff mentioned something about NDAC a little while back. I been trying to get out of dover but conditions not great. I missed out the other weekend they was reporting nearly 10m vis

10. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

@Leeb2018 sounds good mate. Not much planned at mo , currently trying to get to Stoney but seem to be bouncing from one sickness to the next , bloody kids. Just keeping an eye on next year to see what opportunities come up. Will do some stuff out of Portland I expect , Keep you posted.

11. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Let me know. If your hitting Stoney I will come and show you the pirate trail.

Vanny likes this.
  12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Definitely not experienced; some experience yes, definitely not lots!

Can we have a bimble in some crappy lake/quarry some time soon? Can you make Sat 22nd Dec?

13. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I could possibly make the 22nd. Where was you thinking?

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

NDAC. I'd better check its open!

15. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Might watch for a chuckle

16. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I just checked there website. It says they are open on the 22nd. What dive plan you thinking?

17. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

18. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Might come to Ndac.

19. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Yeah, I might be there too as a couple of victims I know are aiming to complete their mod2 that weekend.

20. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

The more the merrier. I probably going stay up Saturday night and drive back Sunday. So after diving Christmas food and drink if anyone up for it.