1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catching Crabs

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Hogmahub, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Hogmahub

Hogmahub New Member

Recently had a successful scallop dive and am going again next week. Apart from the scallops there were lots of large brown crabs and spider crabs. Would love to have taken those as well, but was unsure as to the practicalities of getting them back to the surface. Presumably they would destroy a mesh bag, so do you 'dispatch' them with a knife on the seabed or is there some other way of having crab for diner?!

Thanks

2. BrindooSteve

BrindooSteve Swollen Member

Wandered into this thread by mistake.....sorry - thought it was a Mens Health Issue ;)

divewench, Doomanic, big si and 2 others like this.
  3. indyblade

indyblade Member

I don't have much luck with women either

divewench likes this.
  4. 290315

290315 New Member

I normally burn them off or shave.....

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

divewench likes this.
  5. Roy

Roy Active Member

Just stick them in your bag. But if you put more that one in they will fight.

6. snowman

snowman Active Member

And when some bright spark on the boat says "Get this crab off your fin, can you?", don't be surprised when aforementioned crab tries to take a couple of fingers in return!

They're a lot less feisty in the restaurant!

M.

7. Graham Smith

Graham Smith New Member

Pick them up by the shell behind the rear legs and drop them into a bag. They will be fine. If more than one you can use a rubber band to contain each one without the risk of ending up with a massacre. Whatever you do, never, ever put lobsters and crabs together in the same bag. They fight like nothing else and you end up with mush in the bag.

G

8. madmark1

madmark1 Member

NORMAL SATURDAY NIGHT OUT IN WHITBY DOES IT

9. Elvis

Elvis Banned

I've used cable ties to compartmentalise my bag when collecting more than one.