1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera lighting - quick-release arm?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Wibble, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Playing with 1" balls underwater is a right faff especially if you only have two arms.

I've a Paralenz camera which mounts on a two-handed holder with balls on top. Have a standalone video light attached to an arm on one of the balls. Have another arm which I would like to attach my NW7 when I'm using the video light, and detach it when I want to use it as a torch.

Currently use a 1" ball mounted on the NW7's Goodman handle, but it's not feasible to faff with the 1" ball to ball connector to connect it to the arm on the camera frame.

Is there such a thing as a quick-release which I could mount on the NW7 and just plug it on to the camera mount when I need to? Thinking something like a webbing clip, or some form of tube.

Ideas?

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

My answer would likely be to buy a second video light for your camera rig to separate the two things completely. These can be relatively affordable with some good Chinese ones available on Amazon from around £50 or so

3. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Sealife make quick release arms for their dragon lights and I’m sure they could be adapted. I use them and quite like them BUT I realised quite early on that you need either lanyard or cable tie type things on them and some double-end clips as a safety precaution as I have seen the arms fall off when entering or exiting the water a few times and the loss of an expensive light can be painful...

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Those look perfect. Except the price!!!

There must be other alternatives.

@jb2cool - I'm using the two dive lights which have the wide beams (Anchor 189 and the NW7). Was hoping to just use those rather than 'investing' in other torches. Was hoping to be able to attach the umbilical and disconnect once done.

But... Do you have a link / picture / example of cheap video torches that you'd recommend?

Ananover question; the camera + tray + arms + one torch is pretty big and cumbersome; where do you stash that kit when you're not using it? Probably the bum D-ring's a good place?

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

6. Teleopsis

Teleopsis New Member

I have two of the ones advertised at 18000 lumens (think those are they, I got them from eBay). Good: they are ****ing bright and I've taken them to 50m a few times with no problem. Bad: they are heavy and very negatively bouyant, and they will need 4 18650 cells each which will add a bit to the price.

Wibble likes this.
  7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

#7 jb2cool, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020