1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera for a beginner

Discussion in 'Underwater Photography/Videography' started by Liv, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Liv

Liv New Member

I'm trying to get back into my diving and would love a camera! I have never used a camera underwater before, so am looking for something easy to use, and preferably under £300! I only have my Open Water, but will completing my Advanced Open Water soon!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a camera? Thanks!

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

The advice to me at your stage was to forget about photos and keep the memories in your head. It is a distraction from buoyancy, gas monitoring etc. and doesn't help your buddy. I did eventually buy a go pro look alike and it produced rubbish videos that reminded me of the dives (and of the inside of my bcd pocket when the wrong button was pressed). I flooded it this year and it died - I don't miss it.

jb2cool likes this.
  3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Pretty good advice there, concentrate on diving for the time being and only then move on. Underwater photography gets expensive fast but you need solid skills first

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Totally concur that photography is hard and a massive distraction when learning to dive.

I originally had a GoPro birthday present which I took diving. Got lots of crappy photos, nothing like the ones you see published. But they're momentos all the same.

The GoPro was not great. The battery life dreadful and I believe its still their Achilles heel.

When I flooded it by not closing the case -- d'oh -- I replaced it with a MuVi K2 which was half the price of the GoPro and came with all the stuff GoPro charge loads for. At the current price around £130 it's great value. It has a long battery life and the pictures are just as awful as the GoPro ones.

The other thing is the case is allegedly specified for 100 metres. Alas my MuVi met its flooded fate on a mere 56 metre, two hour runtime dive two weeks ago. The case was fine for a couple of previous 35 metre dives. The good news is Amazon's customer service completely came up trumps and I've just ordered the FOC replacement.

Let's see how long that one lasts on deeper dives.

Good enough is fine. Not expensive is best.

Be warned that underwater photography is both addictive and very expensive.

5. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Sealife 2.0 camera. Does not need a housing as it is designed for being used underwater. When used in underwater mode it automatic adjusts exposure and colour correction. So very good for someone starting out in photography. They are around 400 brand new I do believe. But as with every camera you need good lighting so that's extra.

6. Steve Quick

Steve Quick New Member

i have a sealife micro 2.0 with a sea dragon 1500 light unit, the camera came complete with mounting for both and like lee said its very easy to use and you can get some great results, i bought it once i qualified as an Ocean diver so got some experience out of the way first before taken photos, but it is a very easy and straight forward camera to use, just point and click. And on any dive i never use the camera when descending or ascending only when i am moving about on the bottom. I am now a Sports Diver and holding firm at this grade to enjoy diving until i am ready for the next step but that won't be for a while.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Lighting. This is the biggest challenge with underwater photography, especially in colder waters where it's frequently dark down there. I found with my cheaper action camera that my normal torch looked like a light-sabre, bleaching out in the beam, but the surroundings being rather dark. After pondering various options I decided to update my umbilical torch to a Light-for-me NW7 which has a switchable wide 70 degree beam and a narrow 6 degree normal beam. These aren't cheap but do at least mean I have the option of using it underwater for things other than taking photos -- for example if in a wreck or confined space.

The NW7 seems to work well with the MuVi action camera. Sure, my photos are still rubbish, but they're better lit rubbish!

Steve Quick likes this.