1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Second Hand Gear

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Delvey, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Delvey

Delvey New Member

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Personally I'd recommend Apeks regulators. They're cheap, reliable and used by every level of diver including full-on technical divers. i.e. they're reliable and work.

The issue with buying stuff on eBay is the risk. You'll probably be OK, but for a first set of regs, it would be good to be prudent.

As an example of a starter kit, there's this Apeks DS4 + ATX40 + SPG for £319. Buy DIN not the "international" version. Whilst that's more than you're thinking of spending, it means it's guaranteed to work and won't need servicing. You can also sell it later if diving's not for you.

There's certain kit you can easily buy second-hand (BCD, Fins, weights); there's some kit that's best bought new be that for fit (mask, gloves, hood) or reliability (regs).

Have fun:)

Delvey likes this.
  3. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Don’t know much about the brand , recognise it , not sure if it’s still producing.

Minimum £95 plus same again servicing might be worth looking how much a new set of Apeks are.

Delvey likes this.
  4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Oh, a minor warning about diving...

We've all ended up with a bunch of yellow tat that we ultimately replace with something less radical after we've got a bit of experience.

The main 'rule' is -- with the exception of regs (as it's safety critical) -- get second hand stuff first. Saves a fortune and you can replace it with stuff that suits what you do, flogging it on for about what you've paid for it (unless, like me, you bought it new!).

5. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

The first thing to check is if they are cold water rated (which we can't tell as they haven't photographed the printing on the reg, and they say they don't know much about them). If they're not stamped with BS EN250A, then they're not cold water rated.

Second thing is that you'll need to get them serviced (I wouldn't trust someone on ebay if they say they've only been used 3 times since the service last week!) This will cost at least £80.

I can't find anywhere in the UK selling Tusa regulators new, so there may be a problem getting parts for servicing them.

Compare the purchase price plus the service cost against the price of a brand new set of Apeks ATX40s/DS4 with a gauge. Bear in mind that you'll probably get £100 - 150 for the Apeks if you sell them in a year's time.

Delvey likes this.
  6. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Nah, that's just you Wibs!

Wibble likes this.
  7. Delvey

Delvey New Member

The Octo is marked EN250-2000 so it seems this is quite an old setup, the latest EN250 is from 2014.

Thanks for the advice, the new set of Apeks looks good posted above

8. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

Give the guys at 4th element diving a call... you can usually negotiate a decent deal there ;)

https://4thelement-diving.co.uk/

9. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually yes the TUSA is a good deal, but you do need to know why it's a good deal, otherwise you'll get burned.

That's the trouble with s/hand gear and internet advice, with few exceptions most divers have knowledge
    of the limited kit they've bought, so if it was good they'll gush all over the web, but similarly if bad they'll do
    the same in a negative way. Trouble is the sample rate is so low that it's never going to be objective, hence
    the minefield that is buying s/hand kit and asking for advice.

So if you know what you are doing yes it's a great way to buy kit, if not steer away or buy from those that
    you can either trust or have some sort of comeback if wrong.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

As mentioned above, give 4th Element a call.

The one thing I'm not bothered about "that deal" is I like a good old-fashioned big brass SPG. For some reason they've not got that listed.
    Something like this: https://www.simplyscuba.com/products/apeks-black-tech-gauge-spg

11. Delvey

Delvey New Member

12. Delvey

Delvey New Member

Also, I plan on doing the ntirox speciality. Am I right in thinking I will only need a nitrox reg and octo if using 40% or above? And could I use the above with nitrox and air?

13. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

The only benefit the xtx has over the atx is that you can configure it to come over the left shoulder if you so wish. I myself just went atx and pocketed the savings. This is fine for nitrox too, you don’t need anything special

14. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Lots of divers use regs that are not O2 clean for breathing O2 rich mixtures and have had no problems.

Delvey likes this.
  15. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The XTX has three 'advantages' over the ATX.
    1. The hose can be routed from either side.
    2. The purge button is much larger and easier to use vs the smaller round button on the ATX.
    3. XTX has an interchangeable exhaust so a larger one can be swapped out for a larger moulding to deflect bubbles from the eye-line.
    (the ATX exhaust is fixed as part of the moulding).

However :) Breathing performance is identical and I've never found any of the above 'advantages' to make any difference.

As for O2 clean yes upto 40% out the box is fine, but past that those that use non-O2 clean regs for high O2 % tend to dedicate the regs
    for this purpose and usually that means they started O2 clean and have been on a stage etc ever since.

Delvey likes this.
  16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Honestly, the reg manufacturers all pull the "latest is best" and "more expensive is best" trick. It's a load of tosh, bordering dishonesty.

There are crap regs out there which aren't suitable for UK diving, e.g. the so-called warm water regulators. Those should be avoided.

Apart from a couple of Scubapro Mk25 first stages I use for sidemount, I've standardised on Apeks regs. Most of my 10 second stages are ATX40s which are used for high oxygen deco mixes (up to 100%) and my twinset rig. I do have a set of the 'posh' XTX50 regs which are on my sidemount rig, but I absolutely don't feel any difference between the ATX and XTX underwater. (I dived both my twinset and sidemount in Dover yesterday so I know I'm not making it up!)

I want reliability more than anything else. I've no hesitation in recommending the Apeks ATX which will save you a fortune.

As an aside, I just don't get the point of paying a grand or more for those stoopid "military" regs they make when you can have the same performance from their entry level "cooking" regs. I suppose it's proof that marketing bollocks works. What's the old adage... a fool and their money are easily parted...

17. Delvey

Delvey New Member

Mares Rover Pro BCD any good? Can get a new one for £100 in my size. Looks a model that is a few years old, but for a newbie I am sure it will be fine.

18. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Mares BCDs are Ok. Our club have a range of them (Mares Spirit) and they've been fine.

19. Delvey

Delvey New Member

Worth a punt for a beginner at £100?

20. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I'd say so, yes.

2 tests to do when you physically get it: Inflate it until the overpressure valve lets air out (you can just about do this by mouth inflation if you don't have a regulator to fill it). Leave it inflated overnight - it should still be inflated in the morning.

Check if it comes with an inflator hose - otherwise a new one will cost you around £30.