1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying new kit... New/Used... online from abroad...

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by gs_triumph, Apr 28, 2015.

1. gs_triumph

gs_triumph New Member

Hi,

I am new to diving having qualified earlier this year as a BSAC Ocean Diver and am in the process of buying my first kit to go diving with my club. The club have kit that i can use but i'd like to have my own. My local dive store seems expensive. I know you get better service and the guys are very knowledgeable and helpful etc but when buying a load of kit straight away it makes it very expensive!

I have a dry suit, mask and a dive computer. I need to purchase open water fins, regs & gauges, gloves and a hood.

In order to help cut the cost I am looking to purchase a used BCD. I have found a Ralf Tech Cocoon for sale locally that fits well, appears to be in very good condition and is a third of the price of a new BCD at my local dive shop. The seller has stated it is only a couple of years old however i can't find much info on ralf tech so i am assuming they have gone out of business (or switched to watches) and probably before a couple of years ago. The thing that concerns me is will spares be available for it if needed or am i buying on the proviso nothing goes wrong? Are valves etc standard across manufacturers?

I can take advantage of the fact the euro is trashed. There is an italian seller on ebay selling kits of varying make ups. I was thinking about buying this kit containing Cressi MC9 reg, SEAC X-5 octopus and a 2 guage console. I have contacted the seller and they can add SEAC Propulsion 4x4 fins, a hood and gloves for another £70. The same seller can add a SEAC Ego BCD to this kit for around £70 more but they don't seem to have favorable reviews hence i'm erring toward the used BCD.

Does that make sense?

2. gs_triumph

gs_triumph New Member

p.s. i am expecting to only be diving less than a dozen times a year, hence i do not want to spend a fortune.

3. medicmali

medicmali New Member

Personally I wouldn't. You can get better kit for that money sourced from the UK. Give 4th element diving a ring for regs. The hassle of returning something abroad just spells disaster, time and even more money.

gs_triumph likes this.
  4. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

How much are you thinking of in total?
    I would say:
    Regs: buy a set of Apeks ATX40s / DS4 with a console. This should be about £290 in total, possibly cheaper if you talk to Sam at 4th Element. Apeks are reliable regs and will probably suit whatever diving you do in the future.
    BCD: a decent used one on ebay should be about £50 - anything from Scubapro/Mares/etc should do. I've never heard of Ralf Tech.
    Fins: something simple - avoid gimmicky hinges or splits. The favourite around here seems to be Hollis F1s. I bought a set of Cressi Frogs for about £15 on ebay.
    Hood and Gloves - Personal choice, but I bought a used waterproof hood for £5 from someone on an internet forum, and I treated myself to some waterproof 5mm gloves (my hands were cold in 2.5mm at Christmas!)

You could post a 'wanted' ad on here or the other UK dive forum. You'd be amazed at what divers have in their sheds that they can sell if someone says they need something.

gs_triumph likes this.
  5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't get those regs. Apeks ATX40's will do you nicely. Speak to Sam on 01642 601616 or fourthelement@hotmail.com and she'll see you right.

Fins, try them on before you buy.
    Hood, try it on before you buy.
    Gloves, try them on before you buy.

Local dive shop not looking so bad now eh.

gs_triumph likes this.
  6. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

gs_triumph likes this.
  7. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well TBH the ralph tech is a pile of poo even if it's cheap. Other much
    better s/hand BC's to be had for the same price. Seriously it's that bad.

Regs? Seac sub +Cressi :) Pile of poo mark 2 and at £299 come on.

Apeks DS4 / ATX40 combo with a gauge would struggle to get to £250
    and that's UK based and with UK access to guarantee etc.

gs_triumph likes this.
  8. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you got a dive computer?

Most folk i know just have a single gauge on their regs for their cylinder contents. Depth is measured by the computer typicaly.

gs_triumph likes this.
  9. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Have a D-Timer on mine in a 2:1 console.

It doesnt get bent and can't be left back on the boat - ever :)
    If the poo hits i'm not scrabbling around in pockets trying to find it either.
    Add a basic laminated slate attached to the back of the console and it's
    the "always there" backup :)

10. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

+1 for what they said.

Regs - Apeks ATX40/DS4. Excellent to use, virtually future proof and (slightly) cheaper to service than Scubapro. Wouldn't look at any other makes. Buy them new, not second hand.

BCD - eBay.

Fins - perhaps somewhat controversially, I really like my splitties for recreational diving. Really easy to use and very nimble. That said, I'm now switching to solids as splits are useless for pushing bulk through the water (twins + stages + current + splits = heading backwards). Try them on before you buy though.

Gloves - definitely need to try them on.

Hoods - much of a muchness in my opinion.

gs_triumph likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

And another adding weight to the Apeks regs... The great thing about the DS4+ATX40 is they work in a "recreational" configuration, and also in a "technical" configuration on a twinset; all you need is another DS4 plus a couple of hoses. This really does save you a load of money!

The fact that a large number of "techies" use DS4+ATX40 is testament to how good they are.

Fins: the normal answer here is F1s, but just make sure they fit on your boots.

Gloves: they *must* fit properly. I've a pair that are too tight hence I've only used them a couple of times (must sell them!). Don't buy gloves that are too thick.

Hood: needs to fit snugly. Also make sure that the inside surface isn't plain neoprene as it's horrible to put on your head -- pulls your hair.

BCD: there's a few names which should be avoided, but second-hand is good. As you've seen, lots of help here:)

Good luck!

gs_triumph likes this.
  12. gs_triumph

gs_triumph New Member

13. gs_triumph

gs_triumph New Member

£500 top end.
    On it with the Apeks... on the list!

Ok, not a lot of love for the Ralf! Thanks.

Yes, i have a dive computer - birthday gift! cheers

14. gs_triumph

gs_triumph New Member

Thanks for all your good advice guys!

Much appreciated!

15. gs_triumph

gs_triumph New Member

16. gs_triumph

gs_triumph New Member

its a Din/QD fitting

17. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Didn't you get a hose with the drysuit?

18. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

You will be able to pick up a second hand/spare drysuit/bcd hose, they are USUALLY the same. I think I have one I could let go of, if not someone else on here probably has :)

gs_triumph likes this.
  19. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

I can vouch for the apeks atx 40/ds4 combo.

Bought s set for myself, then bought a set for my wife. Both from sam at just apeks/ 4th element.

A third set were then bought by her brother as he really liked them too. Price is spot on too :)

gs_triumph likes this.
  20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

gs_triumph likes this.