1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buoyancy control, again

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by JohnL, Jul 6, 2018.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Practicing in Capers yesterday with a couple from my BSAC club - still work to get really comfortable in the dry suit but better on the second dive when I dropped 2kg to 9kg. The leader decided to teach me how I should control my buoyancy, got me to empty the BCD and put three clicks on the autodump (all underwater!). This got me thoroughly confused but I understood after a while.
    We discussed it after the dive and his view was that most UK divers use the suit for buoyancy. I've been back at old threads and read Nigel Hewitt's rant on the subject - these go the other way, with the suit for squeeze or alternative buoyancy if you have a BCD problem.
    As I'm intending to move to a wing, I've been investigating - it seems clear that the bladder is intended to buoyancy control, not surface buoyancy only!

2. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

I've always thought that both drysuits and BCDs given very clear hints to their uses in their names ;)

3. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Take squeeze/get suit comfy and wing for buoyancy. Chucking a load of gas into your suit is just uncomfortable. If you find your dragging your feet/fins ditch ankle weights if your using them and/or migrate air to the boots.

Nice simple donut wing , stainless steel back plate @2.5/3kg and play with placing the other 6kg where you can achieve effortless flat trim.

Personally l leave my suit dump fully open , never touch it.

4. splinter

splinter Active Member

A lot of my club use just the suit for buoyancy. Maybe it's a BSAC thing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

5. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

It seems to be prevalent across most of the main (non-tech) agencies at entry level... the rational being if you just use your suit, there's only bag of air to worry about... BCD and Suit = 2 bags which is more complicated...

Not an argument I support - I used both, favouring the BC for buoyancy and the suit for squeeze only, from my first OW dive... made sense to me to do that way...

6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

PADI too.

If you use your wing/BCD for primary buoyancy, as you should, it is worth while having the odd ‘suit only’ dive so that you are practised and familiar with that too.

7. splinter

splinter Active Member

Yes, but it seems like most of the PADI divers I know have gone on to use the wing/bcd for buoyancy. There's some very experienced members of my club who are just using the suit. To be fair some of them are very good at it too. Just my observations from a fairly small group, though.

I've started doing dives with suit only every now and then, after having the wing inflate stick on a bit back. It's no problem with just a twinset, as my weighting is about right, but add stages and the extra gas in the suit becomes more awkward to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Suit for warmth; Buoyancy Control Device for buoyancy control. Leave the dump valve fully open to make it easier to dump gas during ascent.

When cold, more gas in the suit.

But hey, each to their own.

9. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Done my drysuit with Padi in May and they made us use drysuit only for bouyancy. Surprised me as i thought I would only use the the BCD for buoyancy and the suit for squeeze. Tbh i never really put much air in the suit as buoyancy seemed to be just right. Took a bit longer to get down than others.