1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bungeed death wings

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by Badknees, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Badknees

Badknees Meg Pilot (retired) and Forum KGB

After reading on FB the flack one of the idjits has got for buying a bungeed wing it got me thinking.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any documented cases where a bungeed wing has caused harm to its user.

I've read many articles from " independent" testing stating that bungeed wings pose no additional risk, ( usually on Manufacturers sites granted ) but can't find any for the this bungeed wing caused the death of “X” or was the cause of “Y” incident.

BK

2. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

Interesting question. I was against bungeed wings on OC based on the pros and cons I'd researched. Having tinkered with the Meg a few times I've had a 180 degree change of thinking and think one would be more beneficial to my newly discovered style of diving, in the main. Who got the flack and was it from other Idjits, probably less to do with bits of stretchy rubber and more to do with the characters involved? If there were incidents involving bungeed wings, I doubt the coroner would say so much. Without one the victim may have been able to take preventitive action, but having one wasn't contributory to the cause.

3. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

To be fair though, on the Internet you can get flack for giving money to charity!

Badknees likes this.
  4. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

Tis true, even Help for Heroes is getting flack now.

5. Badknees

Its looks like one of those things that seems to have sprung from diving opinion to become diving fact.
    I've spent a few hours trying to find something to back up the it will kill you arguement but have not managed it yet, There's lots of forum chatter but all is just opinions no actual fact.

But I'm ready to be corrected.

BK

6. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

It's the internet... You're wrong by virtue of who has the most posts and who can misquote the most obscure site

Major Clanger likes this.
  7. j_b

j_b Well-Known Member

It's one of those things that I can understand the origins of...but in this nanny state in which we live, if there was even the risk of a bungee springing back and giving you a nasty welt on your hand, they would've been outlawed by now

Silty Bottom likes this.
  8. big si

big si Well-Known Member

Well I can say I wasnt guilty of throwing mud.

Having said that though A bungeed wing dont look cool :cool: ect, ect, ect ;)

9. big si

big si Well-Known Member

:time bomb: Bungied wings have become known as “bondage wings” because they support a series of elastic bands that restrict the size of the wings. This design introduces a whole new range of problems for the diver who selects to use them. These include: uneven inflation, off-kilter trim, the potential exacerbation of small BC punctures, increased drag, and resistance to manual inflation. In short, bondage style wings have no place in diving.
    Just for thoes that dont know :D

10. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

Si I've got no problem with you posting your opinion, mostly it brightens up my day if I'm honest :) But stating opinion as fact isn't right mate.

How does bungee give you uneven inflation or off-kilter trim anymore than an unbungeed wing? There are plenty of divers out there with bungeed wings who dive perfectly trimmed out.

I thought the theory of BC punctures had been well and truly done to death and laid to rest over on the other place? If you can roll over to one side then it will work just as well as a non-bungeed wing

Increased drag is horseshit mate, you must have picked up on the fluid dynamics argument even between your posts ;) you're carrying to great fucking lumps of steel on your back with a manifold, first stages and hoses, a couple of ruffles in the wing aren't going to do too much damage to the eddy currents round your arse.

Choose a bungeed wing or an unbungeed wing due to your personal preference or ideals or because it's what your training agency says you have to use. By all means share the reasons behind your choice and what you feel it does for your diving, the same goes for any kit recommendation I'd make myself, but if you're going to state facts then be prepared to back them up with cold hard data. Otherwise you run the risk of coming across as just another zealot ;)

ztirfritz likes this.
  11. big si

big si Well-Known Member

I love that Kev youve bitten big time :D was it you whos gone and got a bungeed wing ? :giggle:

Silty Bottom likes this.
  12. Badknees

Kev you should know by now you don't need facts when you have the interweb ;)

13. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

Hook, line and sinker you tw@ ;)

No it isn't me, I'm still very much in love with my Midnight

Although I used to have a 50lb bungeed death wing which I passed on to my lad. I changed for no other reason than I'm a kit whore and 2nd-hand Midnight came up cheap

big si likes this.
  14. big si

big si Well-Known Member

I just had a look its James.

15. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

I've had nothing bad to say, good luck to the lad and his diving.
    However, I just love the fact all the proponents of bungied wings dive single bladder wings. You couldn't make it up.

16. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I this fact? Surely the bungees squeezing the will force gas out of the puncture causing loss of bouyancy.

big si likes this.
  17. Badknees

I think you have your bungees and double wings mixed up. And that's a whole different argument ;)

I used to dive twinsets too Paul but now don't , doesn't mean I have to right off twinsets as shite.

BK

18. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

Paul, I think what you'll find is I now dive a donut rather than a horseshoe wing. If they made the midnight with bungees I would have still gone for it ;)

jb, as I said, it's a theory of some divers that the bungee will squeeze the air out. Others believe the air pressure will still equalise with the water pressure and the wing will still partially inflate above where the puncture occurs. Until someone can show evidence of what does happen then it remains a theory by a bunch of Internet divers doesn't it?

19. big si

big si Well-Known Member

I think common sence if you think about it tells you something with an elastic band wrapped around it will be squeezed so the contents will be forced out under presure, opossed to something that is free of any elastic constriction.

When you look at different types of wings they are just a mode of transportation we use to get from A to B, if we then look at cars as the same, choosing between a BMW or a Yugo 45 with a £100 difference or less im sure you would plump for the BMW, not just for the sake of the badge or looks but also for the design, technology, testing and quality of materials used ect.
    Its a no brainer IMO. :)

20. Badknees

Unless its a rebadged Yugo 45 ;)

big si likes this.