1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buddy for night diving at Stoney cove

Discussion in 'Dive Buddy Finder' started by deco Dan dare, Aug 11, 2020.

1. deco Dan dare

deco Dan dare Member

Wondering if anyone is desperate enough to do some night diving in broad daylight at Stoney cove in the next few weeks? Been out the water for a few years and have a post-lock down itch to get my kit wet again, even in the murky shallows of Stoney. Can do mid-week days until August 24th, weekends only from then.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Welcome back!

Have heard of the renowned Stoney visibility, blamed on rain or algal bloom. Nice. All the other puddles appear to have similarly dire visibilty as they're all busy with people trying to get wet.

The sea's nice though :)

3. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

yes, the sea is nice. We had at least 8m viz on the SS Aeneas (should have been Elmcrest but the skipper had the wrong marks) with enough ambient light to make the torch optional.
    Temperature was over 17c and we are having crab for lunch today.

Wibble and splinter like this.
  4. deco Dan dare

deco Dan dare Member

Ok so obviously my fault for being far to lazy to seek out the sea which is perhaps only another hour of driving!

5. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Geography can be unkind. For a return to the water a lake or shoreline dive is best.
    I suspect Stoney Cove has buddy groups on Facebook that might be helpful. Depending of geography, you might want to check other puddles and their buddy support networks.

6. deco Dan dare

deco Dan dare Member

Thanks Dave. Hadn't thought of puddle-specific networks. Will indeed check these out.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

SS Aeneas is a big wreck - https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?78258. Looks good

The vis has been nice of late. Had a lovely dive on the Mira yesterday - https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?185, off of Beachy Head. Similarly the vis was good and torches optional. Loved the swimming around inside her, being a tanker there's plenty of space for a good rummage around. Phenomenal amount of life on her; the fish were teeming around inside her. Would definitely go back as there's much more to explore.

8. deco Dan dare

deco Dan dare Member

Sounds like you're having far too nice a time doing proper diving to drive all the way to Stoney. Glad you're still keen as ever!

9. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

I am. I quit city life 6 years ago and moved to the coast. It's tough but someone has to live here. The local diver industry needs all the support we can offer.

Any joy from the puddle buddy network?

10. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Yep I`m another one that avoids the puddles, the sea is warm and reasonable good vis at the moment.

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Currently dropped my hours to working 3 days a week to spend the other two (or more!) diving to get my CCR hours up. Having a whale (wail?) of a time and now over 25 hours within one month!

12. deco Dan dare

deco Dan dare Member

Glen you are a man of (semi) leisure. I am of course not at all jealous.

13. deco Dan dare

deco Dan dare Member

Dave there is definitely as you say a Stoney buddy network so I will see if that works. When NDAC opens next year I'll do likewise.

Where did you move from and to? My partner has links to South Devon so have always fancied a change myself. Work almost completely remotely so this is possible. Not in Glen's league of 3 days a week however

14. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Glad to hear it. Enjoy the puddles.
    We lived in Harrow and moved to sunny Portland. Our only regret has been not doing it sooner.

15. deco Dan dare

deco Dan dare Member

Nice indeed. My girlfriends parents moved to Sidmouth a few years back, so I know East Devon well (topside other than one terrible viz dive on the Bretagne - I blamed it on Brexit which occurred the day before).

What is the diving like generally for viz? Winter (still conditions) better than summer? Deeper better than shallower?

16. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

I've never dives that area and, with so much available from Portland and Weymouth, I'll probably never make the journey.
    Viz can be rubbish or 20m subject to storms, tides, rainfall, and the plankton. At the moment the inshore is from 3m to 8m whilst mid-channel (50m+) is as up to 15m.

During winter the sea is mostly closed due to wind making conditions hazardous, rivers emptying their silt into the sea, and high winds stirring up the seabed and not allowing time to settle.

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

NDAC will be opening in November according to their website.

18. deco Dan dare

deco Dan dare Member

Thanks. I checked their website last week and it said Jan 21 opening. Will we be seeing you clock up some winter hours there? Long drive for you, but with two days a week at leisure what else have you got to do?

19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I’m doing loads of diving at the moment to get the most from what’s left of the season - so many wrecks, so little time! Hoping we’ll have a good autumn equinox weather, similar to April’s weather.