1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buddy commando bcd

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Alan Davies, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope sorry, still don't work :p

The dictionary definition is quite clear regardless of what's generally accepted.

If you want to add a whole load of other attributes that make a life-jacket better
    and even if one of those attributes are a very common feature, then fill your boots.

It won't make not one bit of difference to that simple dictionary definition that
    both a life jacket without this feature and a life jacket with this feature is still called
    a life jacket.

2. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Just like the use of the word "theory" by god bothererers on a doorstep. They don't mean 'theory' in the form of a concept subjected to serious scientific rigour, instead they use the word as they do in an episode of Scuby Doo - "I've got a theory...".

hawk likes this.
  4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No it's not incorrect it's historically accurate.

Sure the world has moved on and something may become more advanced or even change, but the original definition
    cannot be changed without degrading the original concept and language. Bit ironic that you are talking about eroding the
    language when that's exactly what's been done by the acceptance of change to the original concept. .

The original lifejckets were made of cork and the only function they had was to float the user at the surface. Sure inflatable
    came in and better designs floated the user face-up, but that in itself doesn't change the original description of the word.
    even if nowdays that feature is present in the vast majority of life-jackets.

5. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Wrong. It is only more recently that it has been colloquially referenced as a life jacket. In much the same way as we call most vacuum cleaners Hoovers.

It was not called a life jacket - because the phrase had not been coined.

6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I thought i'd just ask a Maritime Archaeologist as we have a fair few in my club :)

Early flotation devices using cork were in use from around 1800.
    The first "safety vest" the origin of the modern life-jacket is credited to Captain Ward, a Royal National Lifeboat Institution Inspector
    who created a cork vest in 1854 to be worn by lifeboat crews for buoyancy and warmth.
    By the early 1900's they started to appear on passenger ships and the term "safety vest" had been dropped in favour of the more
    appropriate or rather more likely to be taken seriously "life-jacket" (the exception being the Americans who used the term "life-preserver").

Early cork life-jackets did not float the user face up

[​IMG]

I suppose we can now have a pendants argument about the definition of "recent", in language terms is 100 years recent or history :p

Anyway i'm done with the pendant stuff for the day :)

#86 Tel, May 19, 2017 at 1:00 PM
    Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 1:08 PM
    Tribal Chestnut likes this.