1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaks in a one piece harness...

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Wibble, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I do a lot of RIB diving using a twinset and a DIR style one-piece harness. The standard modus operandi is you surface, the RIB approaches you, you the struggle like you're having a fit to get out of the one piece harness after having largely deflated the wing, struggle some more, worry that your computer(s) aren't pulled off in the process, then finally pass the tins+harness+torch up to the hands above, then climb on to the RIB.

Today was worse than normal. There was a fair wind and swell running when we surfaced and the rib was being blown through the water at the best part of a knot. So the struggle to get out of the harness was awful: I though I'd lost my computer. After this I barely had enough strength to climb over the sponson. Horrible.

I've no problems with the one piece harness on a hard boat or quarry. Just on a RIB. I don't want plastic clips.

I know there's the Harpa and Cinch solutions which are OK for donning and doffing, but they're not that good when struggling in the water to get out of the harness.

I've seen a guy who had a stainless steel break which needed positive action to break. I've not seen it in any shops/online.

Does anyone know of a solution that doesn't break the harness, but puts a 6 inch loop in one side? Preferably using a stainless clip.

Idea is to have a RIB harness and a DIR harness for everything else.

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

3. Doomanic

Staff Member

I've only done 4 dives from a rhib and the sea was fairly benign so I'm not sure how much I can add to this, other than the fact that the Harpa didn't work underwater.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

That's interesting. I've used a Harpa a few times and found its good at tightening, but doesn't work so well when loosening, especially in the water. I wonder if the Cinch is similar.

That looks like the beastie. Thanks.

5. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

My wife uses the cinch, and TBH, finds it a pain in water. 90% of my salty water diving uses a OPH, either singles of twins & I've never had an issue in de-kitting.

Out of interest do you twist your mounts to the inside of your arm before getting out of your harness, to allow the harness to slide un-interupted?

TG

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Normally in-water doffing is just a bit inconvenient and frees in the end. With wind & waves it's harder especially as you have to partially deflate the wing to slacken the harness so there's a serious risk of loosing the lot.

Not heard of the twisting technique. Will give that a try.

7. nickb

nickb Active Member

Have you tried pulling your rig over your head to get out of it?

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

With the winter undersuit, I'm very floaty. So lifting a tightly fitted harness with 40kg of tins, regs and torch, when I can't get my arms behind me is difficult to put it mildly.

The normal way is to deflate the wing and let it drop away. Obviously one needs to keep a firm hold of the kit before it drops into Neptune's Locker. The inflated wing reduces the gap in which to extract ones arms, so pulling on any wrist instruments.

What I want is a break in the harness that frees off a 8 inch loop of harness on the LHS. Thus there's plenty of space to get my left arm out, turn around and pull my right arm out of the other side.

9. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

If it were me I would have harness breaks just like a traditional BCD, I`m sure they break ive just never seen one break.

10. Doomanic

Staff Member

Mine fell apart the first time I used it...

Sorted now, but it was a bit of a pain.

11. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Just have a point break with a continous loop.

Can't say it;s not a one piece because it still is, just by undoing a clip it gives enough slack to get out easy :)
    Found an old Buddy Clip is more resilient than a standard clip.

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

That's exactly what I'd like to have for the LHS of the harness, breaking just below the left chest ring.

Because the harness needs to be very strong -- lugging a pair of tins with an ali 80 dangling - means it needs to be proper strong. Do you know of any metal "pinch clip" equivalent?

KTQuick_Release__Waist_Buckle.png
    As @Doomanic pointed out, the Kent Tooling belt buckle looks as if it might work for this.

The harness I've seen before is the Dir Zone adjustable harness.
    DirZone_Adjustable_Harness.png
    This has the excellent break - strong, simple, secure - but spoils this with the adjustable malarkey which is just a dangling snag risk and can't be used in a DIR rig as you can't break the RHS as your spare torch will be stowed there*.

Agreed, a clip would do the job, but this is pretty much anathema to the principles of DIR (which adding a continuous loop is pushing things!). In seriousness, I don't want a plastic clip which could break, e.g. if your tins fell over onto the clip or if you stowed some other crap on top of it that weakened the plastic. Apart from being brittle, they're also not as strong as a metal clip.

Does anyone know if the DIR Zone-style break is available separately, maybe used in other webbing applications? I'm sure this could be threaded onto a one-piece harness with a loop and using tri-glides to lock the clip on the webbing.

Reason for wanting a break on the LHS is that you'd hand up any stage cylinders to the RIB; you wouldn't have any torch on there (see *), and the RHS is occupied with all the miscellany - primary torch, backup torch. etc.

* Spare torch: this discussion is for diving off a RIB only; therefore you'd use a single backup torch on the RHS below the RH chest ring. Other types of diving would use a normal one-piece harness.

13. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The Buddy BC clip has been around way before DIR was even thought about and it's almost impossible
    to break :)

In the past 20 years and a club of 100 students doing there best, number broken = zero :)

However if you want something shiny Woz has the solution. On his rig he just has Two d-rings with a
    double ender between the two. Unclip one end to release the extra loop.

Left has always been better for getting back on small boats to the point where some BC's and wings used
    to be solid one side and have a clip on the left. The reason is that in a rough sea having the reg in until the
    very last moment is a real plus, so even when you take the wing/BC off the reg can be in the mouth until the
    cox pulls up the rig.

It's for this reason that students are taught to keep the clip done up on the right and always put that side on
    the shoulder first. It bulids a memory skill so the reverse is done when dekiiting.

14. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

The DIRzone one is the one I'd seen before but it looks like the kent tooling one does the same thing (I'd like a different picture to be sure)

15. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

It seems to be:
    Linky

16. Iain Denham

The wing harness that are based on the traditional BCD style harness have 2x clips on the harness 1x clip on the elastic bit that joins the top of the harness and the main belt clip is there much chance that these will break enough that the wing will fall off or is this just about whether they break if someone drops something on it?

If so what about the regs they plastic and would probably break easier so why don`t we have metal ones?

Or am I completely missing the point and should shut up for lack of knowledge

*awaits Becky to shout at me.........................................................Again! ;)

17. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

The one piece harness in the DIR setup was like DIR itself born in caves. Its an unforgiving environment to say the least. Whilst I've never seen a clip break, I've seen enough plastic bits from buckles laying around on boats, and at dive sites to know they clearly do.It may not be very often but they still do.

Its probably why we don't have plastic first stages in all honesty.

I guess if you don't want to dive a one piece harness its your choice. x

Iain Denham likes this.
  18. Iain Denham

Very gentle with me thanks Becky :)

becky9 likes this.
  19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

That is nice. Love the simplicity. Alas I really don't want to add the extra couple of D-rings to the harness.

Well spotted. I reckon that these could be used in conjunction with Tri Glides. Need to see if I can order these.

The KT one seems to be a bit thin. Compare that with the thicker metal of the DirZone version.

20. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Lolz! Bad Cop Becky will be along shortly no doubt ;) :D x

Iain Denham likes this.