1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand new Ali 80 - first tests due?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Alex Denny, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Hi all,

I have bought my first ever brand new cylinder (having picked all my others up second hand). It is an Ali 80 that I got a good deal on and I have just unpacked it.

The cylinder is stamped with its manufacture / first test date of 06/19 - so genuinely nice and new. However, because it is new - it doesn't have the typical IDEST next test due sticker.

I'm pretty sure as it is new and comes tested, I need a visual inspection by the end of December 2021 - is that right? I'd like to at least write out a bit of masking tape with a reminder and stick it on the shoulder!

***EDIT*** - Also - the cylinder comes with a certificate from the manufacturer (Beaver) saying "All Beaver aluminium cylinders have been cleaned for use with Nitrox & Oxygen at the time of production". With new cylinders, do filling stations accept 15 months from the date of manufacture to fill them - or should I get it stickered with an O2 clean sticker?

As one might guess from the fact its an Ali cylinder, I want it as a deco stage - so not much use if I can only put air in it...

Thanks

Alex

#1 Alex Denny, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

AFAIAA the stamp on the cylinder is enough until the first visual in 30 months time.

O2 clean is another thing. Normally there'd be a sticker giving the O2 cleaned from (or to) date.

At the end of the day, it's up to the gas monkey to choose to fill it or not.

3. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Thanks. I'll mark them up with masking tape for 30months and get them stickered for O2 at my friendly LDS for the cost of the stickers then!

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

When you put a stage kit on, consider putting a wrap of tape or a rubber band round the cylinder first and mount the stage kit on top of that. You sometimes get pitting if the cylinders if you don’t rinse the salt off well enough

Alex Denny likes this.
  6. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Under / around the jubilee band? Done!

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Just under so that it doesn’t come into contact with the aluminium

8. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Helps them to hold tight too I find. I’ve some 15s with a single jubilee so am going to double them up.

9. korsakof

korsakof Member

30 months!!! In Spain visual inspection is yearly and pressure test after 36 months.

10. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Australia are similar I believe, they have yearly tests, maybe pressure test every year (I don't 100% know)

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The UK is 5 years for hydro test with 2.5 years for visual inspection and 15 months for O2 clean. Gets bloody expensive for a collection of cylinders; I've currently got 18.

12. korsakof

korsakof Member

How much? visual inspection is between 14 pounds-18 pounds and hydro test between 32 pounds-36 pounds.

13. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I was on the boat with John Kendall last week and he said that at last count he had 78 cylinders. Most of these are out of test as he has his own filling station at home so doesn't have to rely on getting fills anywhere. Seemed a bit excessive to me though.

I don't think Krnicadive even has 78 cylinders in total and that's a dive centre.