1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Braided "Myflex" hoses

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Wibble, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

For my sidemount rig -- definitely *not* for my twinset rig -- I'd like to use a myflex-style hose for the longhose. On sidemounting half the hose is kept stored on the cylinder with the other half around the back of the head.

I've used a 'normal' longhose and it's not particularly nice to stow as it doesn't bend that easily.

I ordered a longhose which is branded Apeks but the poxy thing came rolled tight and tie-wrapped. Not sure if it's a consequence of this, but it's a bastard to stop curling up all the time. Completely tangletastic. So pretty useless TBH.

Is it just the Apeks hoses which are bloody useless or are all myflex hoses like that?

2. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Why would Miflex be acceptable for side mount but not back mount?

3. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Miflex can twist / kink so badly it cuts off the air supple. I suspect Wibble’s reasoning is that is much less likely while stowed on a cylinder... not sure I would go with that in a cave though (where snags and kinks are more likely), which is when I use sidemount.

Funnily enough, the miflex long hose I took off my sidemount rig (for exactly that reason) has now found its way onto my twinset after a leak on another hose... this is a useful reminder to go and get it swapped!!

Griffalo likes this.
  4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hmm. I'll swap it out for a proper hose.

It is a horrible bit of kit though. I've a feeling this is worse than normal myflex hoses because of the way it was stored and shipped.

5. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Like a coiled spring?

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Done. Swapped for a proper hose.

Put the braided hose down and it coils in 6" loops. I say coils, I mean tangles. Pulling on it just kinks it. Totally useless.

Will be using the sidemount kit in Holm Bank in a couple of weeks.

Alex Denny likes this.
  7. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Who you going with?

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Glad you asked that... will pop over to PM (no secret, just curtesy)

9. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

I have a mix of "normal" hoses, Miflex hoses and Apeks lightweight hoses, and havent suffered the same issue you have, @Wibble. Are you sure your missus didn't swap your hose for one of those curly garden hoses from B&Q?

On the other hand, the floatiness of a lightweight hose would not strike me as being ideal for a sidemount rig.

(...
    ... first time I have heard our Wibs being described as a "coiled spring" :whistling: )

jps likes this.
  10. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

All that latent energy, tensed and ready for action.

I would have thought 'coiled spring' describes him perfectly. :)

jps likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

:)

I'm avoiding referring to it as MyFlex as it's an Apeks one. Whatever though, it's bloody useless and a total danger as it kinks so readily.

Not sure if it's because someone's coiled it too tight and left it for a while, but if I were to hold it stretched out and drop it on the floor it re-coils itself into about 6" loops. Just like a curly garden hose. Pull the two ends apart and it just kinks up.

I've a couple of other Myflex hoses which came with a reg set I bought years ago. These tend to bend into 18-24" coils and are much stiffer.

I think I'm going to ask the shop for a refund...

12. speed098

speed098 Member

I have an Apeks/aqualung one on my SPG and fine it does not coil up so reasonable chance yours is defective best to get it swapped out at the shop for a replacement with the understanding if the new one is the same you want either e refund or a different brand.

Wibble likes this.
  13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Update on the hoses...

Replaced the braided hose with a standard 'rubber' hose and sent the pre-coiled hose back for a refund -- apparently they come from the manufacturers coiled up and tie-wrapped. Just waiting for that to complete.

The standard rubber hose is *much* better than the braided hose when folding and stuffing it back on to the RH (sidemount) cylinder. Need more practice to slicken it up, but it's pretty OK.