1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought a BARE suit on eBay...

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Futurekubik, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Futurekubik

Futurekubik New Member

Hi there. I am relatively new to scuba diving and got my open water PADI. I wanted to do my drysuit speciality next so instead of buying a replacement laptop I thought I'd secure a quality drysuit that I could use in U.K. coastal waters once I was qualified.

So I bought a BARE drysuit from a seller on eBay listed as 'brand new with labels removed' and in the text they'd written 'never used'. No returns accepted. Shipping from Leicester.

However upon delivery (from Latvia I might add) there is information hand-written on the inside, some of which (serial number) has been scribbled over. This means it's been used, surely? They don't write it in then scribble it out from the factory, right?

I'm making a claim for my money back (the suit cost more than my car!) but I just new to be certain - it's not a standard practise for drysuit manufacturers like Bare to hand-write ANYTHING into the suits before shipping them to retailers is it?!

I fear I've been jipped. Thank god for the eBay refund guarantee, but I haven't started the refund process yet and wanted to be especially sure I will win the case, hence why I'm asking here. I'm going to contact the manufacturers in the US once they open later on today to ask the same question.

Apologies if this is the wrong questions to be asking in this forum

2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

My O3 has info is all hand written into the flap behind the zip. Date of manufacture, serial number , name. From memory my previous DUI was also hand written into the label. Many custom made suits will have hand written notes on the panels so it goes together correct.

So based on that it doesn’t surprise me. Does the suit look well used? Mud , scrapped knees etc. How much cheaper than new was it ? Does it fit you ok?

3. Futurekubik

Futurekubik New Member

Ah ok. Here's a pic of what's written inside (attached to post).

The suit seemed clean but it failed when it was inflated and water got in while I was testing it in a pool with my instructor last night. So I'm still annoyed.

Attached Files:

4. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

The serial number being scribbled over is a bit dubious... Makes me wonder if it "fell off the back of a truck" - but doesn't mean it's not new!

5. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Yes that's the type of label I'd expect. As Alex says bit weird to scribble out the number. Any idea why you got wet ? Or whereabouts it's coming in?

6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It's common to write serial numbers of suits somewhere be it on a label or just in white marker on the
    fabric. Fact that this has been scribbled out means the seller doesn't want it traced, no other reason for
    that. Which means as Alex says chances are it fell off the back of a lorry.
    If you can't be sure of the serial number how can you be sure of what the guy says? You say it failed when
    inflated and the suit leaks and i'm assuming that the Instructor knows the difference between a leak and
    bad fit, so that's three things that are not right.

Ignoring the morality of buying/keeping dodgy gear, right now you have two choices.

1. If you paid well under retail you have enough money in the pot to take it somewhere to get fixed. Of course
    in doing so you also run the risk of this suit being on a database somewhere ;)

or

2. You claim foul and use ebay protection and get most if not all your money back.

Personally it's ok to have a s/hand suit or even a new one that's been reduced, but having the nagging doubt
    that you've bought a lemon from a dodgy geezer, well that's what you don't need IMO.

7. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

That serial number is almost legible - looks like W36099-098???

I'd be surprised if someone scrubbed out the serial number on a suit they'd bought new for themselves.

Depending on price paid and where it's leaking, it might still be a good deal?

8. Futurekubik

Futurekubik New Member

It was leaking at the zip seal....

My instructor advised I get a refund and buy one brand new so I get aftercare.

I paid several hundred pounds under the retail rate for what appears to brand new and unused but I'm not certain it hasn't already been used - the label on the I side looks like it's cracked and faded from use, surely?

9. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

It could be a new/old stock. From the ebay advert, it's got a plastic TiZip fitted - is that what's leaking?

With that much money at stake, I'd probably start the refund process. Then go and talk to Otter about a brand new suit.

10. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If it's a new zip and sounds like it is. then a new one will set you back £150 at least.
    Get a refund then as said go see John Junior at Otter :)

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Get a refund; too many issues and liabilities, and no warranty. Thankfully you've the eBay guarantee to fall back on.

Plenty of time to find another -- now you know how much you're prepared to pay!

12. Futurekubik

Futurekubik New Member

Update for anyone on the slim chance who might have been wondering about this - it took almost 2 months but I just got my refund.

Thanks for the advice and I shall be far more vigilant buying 2nd hand gear from now on. Lesson learned!

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Well done!

Was it eBay that did It?

14. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Well done - great persistence! My experience with second-hand gear is that it doesn't save you that much (cylinder) or stops working without recourse (computer). You can't go too far wrong with lead - buy it does mean that I've got a mish mash to work out how to balance.

For dry suits, you have a lot of cost choices depending on manufacturer and model - I chose a Seaskin crushed neoprene after great deliberations and lots of advice from the forum, about £750 including extras. It keeps me dry, was made-to-measure, and is OK for the sort of diving I want to do. With more knowledge, I would have gone with a laminate. Good luck in your search.

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

With diving gear there's loads of stuff best bought second hand -- BCDs. etc. But personal stuff is best bought new -- masks, drysuits. Sure, it's possible to find second hand, but you need to get a warranty or be lucky. Heard of too many people buying second hand drysuits that don't fit and leak.

Cylinders are often good value bought second hand, but ensure they're tested first or you get a full money-back guarantee if they're not tested (and factor in the £50 test+O2clean per cylinder = £100 for a twinset!). Regs are often good value but be prepared to get them serviced and don't pay too much (given that new DS4+ATX40 are cheap, new is good too!)

16. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Some really good bargains to be had online, but the issue is the same as it's always been and that's knowing
    what you are being sold. That's why my advice for those new to the game is do what you would with a car.

Nobody says I need a car then looks at every single one going, so why do that with BC's, Drysuits etc?
    Pick no more than three versions or even less of what you are looking for and start to get a feel for what's out
    there. Compare old with new, types of fittings etc. Educate yourself eg: when did Buddy rebrand to AP valves?
    When did that suit have a Mk1 low profile Apeks or have a different cut/panels different?

Rush in blind and unless very lucky you'll get burned. Try doing some homework and while it's not 100% the
    odds are way better :)

#16 Tel, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018