1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonjour from France

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Oxymoron, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

Hi, new member living in south of France (but am from UK). Ancient BSAC diver, now mostly tech diving.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nice one. Where abouts and what's the diving like?

Welcome to the forum (from someone who left home at 0530 to drive 220 miles in the rain to dive in a mine!)

Alex Denny likes this.
  3. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome Oxymoron, PADI diver trying to move to BSAC (but that's a long story). Newish to diving but long in the tooth.

4. splinter

splinter Active Member

Welcome to the forum. I'm also interested to know what the diving's like where you are.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

5. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Hiya. Come on tell us about the great wrecks , warm water , year round sun , decent viz. after spending 3 hours in the rain freezing at a kids cycling event I need a larf.

6. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

Diving is really good in the western Med in general. I am lucky to live right next to a marine reserve by the Esterel reserve in south of France near Mandelieu La Napoule. There is no fishing allowed, so marine life is outstanding. There are shoals of Barracuda, Groupers, lobsters, scorpion fish, smaller stuff like nudibranchs. Visibility is like tropical - about 15-20m. Temp is about 26 at 30m in summer, about 15 at 30m in winter. There are dive boats in every port along the French med so you just turn up with your gear (less tank), show your c-cards, and dive. I mostly dive from La Rague or La Napoule if I dive locally.

For further afield, I often dive from my sailing boat, but this is a bit limited because usually it is solo-diving. If I want to do a more challenging dive I go to the nearest operator. The wreck diving is spectacular - because there is no current in the Med the wrecks stay intact. There are a lot of WW2 aircraft wrecks but most are quite deep so are tech dives (my favourite is Messerschmidt Gigant off Sardinia). But some are more accessible - there is a B-17 at about 22m off Calvi.

Most operators are not familiar with BSAC c-cards, so this can be an issue. I decided to do PADI DM just to avoid difficulty when doing ad hoc recreational diving in France and Italy. For tech, I use TDI which is preferred everywhere.

7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Sounds wonderful, deep envy.

8. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Sounds nice. Looks like somewhere to venture in the camper , be good diving for the kids as well. Cheers