1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blocked nasal passage

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Steve Brind, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Steve Brind

Steve Brind New Member

Going back to when I learnt to dive in 93 I had a bit of the sniffles and a chap in the group gave me something that completely cleared my airways.
    Does anyone know what this could have been or what do people use for the morning semi blocked sinus

2. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I used to think Gin worked. Then I realised I just couldn't feel the squeeze...

3. Wayne3779

Wayne3779 New Member

Sudafed or any other nasal decongestant spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. AndyW

AndyW Member

If blowing your nose doesn't clear it, don't dive. There's always tomorrow.

My position on this was cemented after seeing someone struggle with their sinuses on holiday. Pushes himself back into the water after dosing himself up for what was to be the "best" dive of the week. Died.

Maybe the sinuses were the reason for the incident, a contributing factor, or completely unrelated. Who knows.

If you're not totally up for it don't get in the water. A reverse block will ruin your day.

pitdiver likes this.
  5. joe90

joe90 New Member

Probably a little off the topic but sort of relevant.

A lot of my work is at altitude in the mountains. Recently (4/6months) I get a series of pops in my right ear as I ascend or descend on the mountain. I put it down to diving, but I'm not sure.

I've never had major issues equalising, but if I ever have a block its always been right side and going at it slow has always worked with ought pushing or hurting it.

When I say it pops, I don't mean as in it clears. It goes popopopopopop. No pain or discomfort at all, above or below the surface.

Anybody else experienced anything similar?

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-AL00 using Tapatalk

Wayne3779 likes this.
  6. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Inhale the fumes from a few (only a few) crystals of menthol BP dropped on a cup of hot water. That can work wonders. It is also a good plan if you are starting to get congested as it can clear things before a nasty infection gets established.

Menthol BP comes in 5g tubs from the chemist for a couple of quid. Can get it online but postage is more than the product.

7. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Inhaling a mild saline solution can also work.

Your doctor, or pharmacist, may also have additional advice.

8. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

9. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

10. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

Yea I done a netti pot.a few times now first time my wife made solution and it was fine. Second time I just used water and forgot about the salt mix. Damm it burnt like hell.