1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best time to dive Stoney for Vis?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Graysyid, Oct 12, 2019 at 2:23 PM.

1. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

Whats the best time to dive Stoney for Visibilty? Last two months haven't been great and i've heard the winter months are a lot better. I'm up there next weekend and hope to try and get up there again Dec/Jan. I do need to give NDAC a whirl at some point.

2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Generally winter is better , this year seems to have been mainly crappy from around end of Feb/March. NDAC is usually better , depends how much further it is for you I guess and what you need to get out of it.

3. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

NDAC is probably about another 45 mins travel. I'm just trying to get some dives in the log book and get some practice in. Last two months have been shocking at Stoney even following the anchor line from the Stanegarth to the shelf. Not seen the APC yet, so if the vis is a bit better, going to give that a go next weekend

4. BabyShark

BabyShark New Member

I will be at Stoney cove next weekend too. From talking to some divers, I understand that winds, algae, silt and other divers all affect inshore diving visibility. Any particular difference in characteristics between NDAC and Stoney cove?

5. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

You been to Stoney before? Only been diving just over two years myself, so I know a lot less about the sport than I know.

6. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Stoney’s quite inshore.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

From my few visits there, Stoney is more silty than NDAC and the vis can be awful.

NDAC's much larger and doesn't have much silt. Whilst the vis can be poor, it's only really poor if it's been raining a lot and the runoff's affected the vis. Normally its several metres.

Personally I find NDAC's a much better place to dive as there's more attractions and the vis is better. Also, due to the depth, you tend to find fewer complete novices there.

Stoney's one endearing feature is you can park beside the quarry to jump in. Alas that's balanced by needing to be there around midnight to get in the queue.

Uggh; the sea's now closing for the winter which means facing another 6 months choosing between diving in one of the inland diving puddles or finding a suitable mine/cave. Was so hoping to be on a rebreather for this winter, spending quality time getting the hours in for next summer's diving season.

8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Of course, you can book a space for parking near the water if you are a member at Stoney, which makes life easier. Yet another alternative, normally with reasonable vis is Capernwray in Lancashire - not as deep as Stoney or NDAC but, if you are lucky, you get to see 6ft sturgeons.

9. kevin b

kevin b Member

Capers viz was 3-5 metres midweek but not many there.