1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best or worst dive

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Stuartlamberth, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Stuartlamberth

Stuartlamberth Active Member

Hope admin don't mind.
    Just after knowing what good or bad dives people remember and the reason why

If admin have a problem then just delete it just interested to know

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Best is hard to think of as there have been lots of good ones, maybe Manta rays in the Maldives, one of my wreck dives in Truk (Chuuk) maybe diving the Baron Gautsch as the final dive on my Tech 1 course.

Worst is probably one of the night dives we did in the Maldives, one was a shallow sandy bay where there was nothing there, the vis was poor, there was nothing to see and the jump in and pick up were a massive clusterf**k. The other night dive was actually an ok dive but when we ascended the boat was nowhere to be seen. After floating for a while (10-20mins) a little speedboat turned up and informed us out dive boat had broken down. We were towed back to the boat by the speedboat trailing a rope which we hung on to, not ideal.

3. Stuartlamberth

First part sounds amazing the 2nd part would be my worst nightmare

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Kind of odd, but even a rubbish dive is a learning opportunity.

For example if you get to the bottom of the shot and find the visibility is inches (as happened this Feb in the channel), it was an opportunity to see if it's possible to dive when you can't see your hands -- yes, but not safely as you never really know what you're putting your hands near and impossible to stay with your buddy unless you're literally holding on to each other. Was glad to give up that dive!

Lesson: yes, the bleeding obvious; crap vis on a dark wreck isn't really that much fun.

Other examples are where I was below another diver going along a wreck and a load of silt dropped on me / was kicked up by the other diver. Ooh, I thought, I can't see anything. Moved my torch away but it made no difference; I could only read my computer if I literally held it to my mask faceplate. But no worries, it's just some silt, chill and don't make things worse. Slowly finned forwards and dropped down a bit to touch the bottom which was, before the siltout, only a couple of feet away. Still couldn't see anything so I came up a bit and finally saw the light. Well, my torchlight. It was obviously a bit better, so slowly ascended another metre and got out of the cloud. I'd properly lost by buddy by then; the vis wasn't that good when we started TBH (about 2 metres), so moved along a bit more to see if I could find him. Nope, so time to ascend. Dug out the SMB, set it off, and did my ascent from about 30 metres.

Main question here is should one worry about the buddy or not. Chose the "or not" option as my buddy was almost certainly somewhere around me. Lo and behold he'd come up as well so we were floating on the surface within 20 metres or so waiting for the boat to pick us up.

Lessons: don't panic. Be slow, be calm, it's only the lights going out! Do the normal ascent, etc.

On holiday in the Med I went off a boat with a load of locals from a different part of that country (trying not to mention Spain here). I'd been diving all week in the first week in July and had pretty much had the place and dive guides/DiveMasters to myself. This was Saturday and the boat was full - 12 divers. We dropped off the boat en-masse. It was horrible; unlike the peace and tranquillity of the previous 5 days, this was a zoo full of selfie-taking types who in the water were awful, kicking the bottom up, banging into things, just not taking any care of the environment. About 15 minutes into the dive one of the divers gave the out-of-air signal to a dive leader/master. The DL gave that person his octopus and went about gathering everyone else together. Then that person's buddy went OOG too! WTF, I still had 150 bar left on a single 12. At that point another DL donated his Octopus and properly thumbed the dive for everyone.

Lesson: frustrating as it is, any and everyone can thumb the dive at any time. I'll also not dive with a bunch of kids like that again!

Actually, on the second dive (tanks swapped), I grabbed my buddy and told the DM that we'll go together; the DM agreed and we quickly dropped over to have probably my best dive up to then; we spent over an hour on the bottom as both of us liked going slowly and enjoying the flora and fauna. The DM had a whinge when we surfaced as they'd done the same 20 minute dive and had spent 40 mins in the baking sun waiting for us. He omitted to tell us that the max time was 50 mins. Oh well, I'll remember next time -- and that was my last dive as we went home the next day.

Lesson: Slowly, gently makes for a lovely dive. Oh, make sure you get your max bottom time.

5. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Difficult one... Top three are all completely different...
    • Thistlegorm on twinset and scooter
    • Farnes with big wet dogs nibbling me (max depth about three metres)
    • Hells Bells (Cenote Zapote in the Yucatan)
    Bottom three do have a common factor - visibility
    • Some rusty metal out of Newhaven
    • Some rusty metal out of Plymouth
    • Some sand out of Brighton

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hang on; was I involved with two of the bottom three? My finning isn't that bad

furryman likes this.
  7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

No?

#7 jb2cool, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Wibble likes this.
  8. Stuartlamberth

What are you referring to?

9. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Worst - first boat dive, difficulty descending to 25m, taken to 30m as OW diver, ran low on air, buddy at 50bar at 25m and shared air with guide, ascended alone, managed first safety stop and had great difficulty getting back into boat in chop, in boat with 30 bar still with a swim at the dive centre, remove fins on my own for the first time and climb 15 steps up a vertical ladder.
    Best after AOW course - boat dive, easy descent to 30m, figure of eight round the base of two pinnacles then spiral up to the top at 12m, on nitrox so no bottom time worry, calm, good buddy contact, ascent up line to safety stop, back onto boat with 50 bar.

Stuartlamberth likes this.
  10. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Worst was on a UKD trip out of Weymouth a couple of years ago. We were on Tango so no chance of the skipper calling it, despite the adverse conditions. We dropped in on the Aeleon Sky in near zero vis and spent 30 minutes trying not to end up inside the wreck.

Best is trickier to pin down. Any of my dives on the Um El Faroud in Malta, Scapa, diving the Maine with @Gareth Burrows, but my final dive of Fundies has to take the crown for now.

WillDive likes this.
  11. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Working on a tablet and can't be bothered to write as much as Wibble, but there are some really memorable dives and there are some (lots) that are in the logbook. You always remember the former and if nudged you may remember the latter, particularly if too much time hasn't passed. Go and dive, your experience of any dive site will be completely different to anyone else.

12. Stuartlamberth

I wasn't trying to find good or bad sites I was just just asking about people's dives.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

As you do lots of diving it gets harder to remember specific dives unless there was some major event.

@Big Joe reminded me of our dive together when I met my first sea dog. I was reduced to a giggling wreck as the seal played with my fins and came right up to my face, such amazing creatures. Cannot recommend diving in the Farne Islands enough (although our close encounter of the seal kind was in Eyemouth).

14. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Worst, I guess the OOG at stoney with a friend that had a undiagnosed stomach tumor rupture at some point during or after the dive. Hes not dived since afaik. It was my first OOG donate, I felt quite sick afterwards, just quite unpleasant.

Best? Oh so many, Awesome dives on the JEL, Maine, M2, U12, Scapa, hispania, breda, shuna, River Run in the ponderosa System in mexico,Nohoch in mx, just incredible!, The ear at Ginnie Springs Florida -WOW!, Walsall Cenote! ;o), All the great wrecks in Croatia inc my T1 final exp.dive on the vis, that was especially fab. The aquapuppy dives in the farnes and eyemouth. Probably even the odd dive in egypt although I had a face on for most of those ;o) Finally my fundies re-eval tec pass dive will always be remembered with great fondness x

15. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Best Farnes
    Worst I hate any puddle!

16. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Best dive - really tricky to pin down but I would probably say that diving the bat cave in the Mexico cave systems was the one I remember most.

Worst - I dived Lake Travis in Texas and on the ascent hit the tree line at about 40 m which was really eerie and freaked me out a bit. I then threw up a blob and got my first and only ever attack of vertigo. I had to hang off the bag while the world beneath me (including the trees I had just come up through) spun round and around. Terrifying experience and made me realise the importance of proper gas planning - I just about made it my deco gas!

17. barrygoss

barrygoss Active Member

Best - loads, all good, justicia prow in 72m and watching other divers backlight it, basking shark over the Maine in 6m, 45 mins solo inside the hood, max 14m, going all the way the the engine room and back. Also Going from the Stanegarth to the mgf's in under 7 minutes on my scooters.
    Worst haven't been when I'm wet,as every dive is good, some are less good than others is all.. My worst diving experience has been repeated more than I like over the last 20 odd years of serious diving. It's learning about a friend who didn't surface.

18. Pembrokeshire Falconry

Best was a dive in Phuket. I started to have a little bit of equalisation trouble around 25m so we went up to 15m, just in time for a young whale shark to cruse towards us, then turn away again about 15m in front of us. If I hadn't had the problem id have only seen a silhouette of the shark (like everyone else)

Equal best was diving sipidan island. Everything about it is mind blowingly amazing!

Worst was the wreck; Yongala. Got to 28m and hose to my second stage burst. Emptied my tank. Came up slowly on wife's air. Barely saw any of the wreck. Boat had no spare tanks. Company doesn't give refunds or give a monkeys ! Lol. Second dive was good though, although a little anxious. Great dive site.

Stuartlamberth and Wibble like this.
  19. Stuartlamberth

Think I'm going to have to dive abroad
    Seems like you guys have had some amazing dives

20. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Best dives: Too many to enumerate although Malin was rather special this year with flat seas and brilliant viz on the classics as well as Hurst Castle and HMS Viknor. Nice dive on Polynesian in Malta a few years back. Mostly I enjoy the good diving I can do from Portland!

Worst dives .... things don't always end well :(