1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best club / route to BSAC advanced diver (South East)

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Alex Denny, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Hi all,

I'm probably mad for thinking about it - but I've been wondering about progressing to BSAC advanced diver, but my current club is relatively small, has no boat, and no instructors qualified to teach it. I'm therefore considering joining another club (though not leaving my current one!) and trying to get involved / progress in this way.

Any suggestions in the South East of the kind of clubs that I could pursue this with? Or is there any other way of going about it?

Thanks

Alex

JohnL likes this.
  2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Good lad! I seem to be stuck at SD.

Alex Denny likes this.
  3. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Depending on your proximity to London you could try Hellfins. They run a RIB from Portland, are very active, and amongst their number have a BSAC National Instructor who is a pretty good guy.

Alex Denny likes this.
  4. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

You should be able to arrange all the training for Dive Leader within your club. (and then AD if you want to.) Have a chat with your DO to make sure he knows what training you need / want, otherwise he might just assume you're content wriggling around in caves. ;)

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  5. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I joined a very decent club last year, so it’s just a question of time for me at the moment - I’ve only managed one sea dive so far this year, though I have had three days cancelled for one reason or another.

One day I’ll (hopefully) get there.....!

NickPicks likes this.
  6. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

Not always easy to do... I tried for 8 or 9 months to get the PRM elements signed off, but my main club just isnt big enough to be able to do it...

7. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

PRM is one of the parts of DL that is oftne easier to do at region level - I did the theory parts within the club, but had to miss the practical day due to illness. I contacted my regional coach when she was next running the PRM course and I tagged onto that to repeat the theory and do the practical.

8. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Agreed. If you do O2 Admin, DPM and PRM as regional courses you'll find you have completed a big chunk of Dive Leader and the remainder is easily done in branch.

NickPicks likes this.
  9. Nile

Nile New Member

I'd second this, also unless you have a large club, doing the PRM practical can be difficult getting enough volunteers. Also doing it at a region can be more interesting and fun with the scenarios.

When I did mine we used a blown out day on a trip in Plymouth to run it, so we had 12 divers with nothing to do in the morning. But if I hadn't done it then convincing 11 other divers to give up a morning to come to a quary and do it can be a talk order.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

NickPicks likes this.
  10. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I am the DO and one of the lead instructors in my club, as well as part of the SE regional coaching team. I would also suggest doing PRM as part of a regional event. (There is one coming up in August).

That said - I’m still not sure what club is best for AD, and it can’t be ours, as we don’t have any AIs anymore!

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Couple of TLAs: what's PRM & DPM?

For those outside of BSAC, what are the benefits of the various qualifications?

12. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Practical Rescue Management:
    A mixture of theory and practical sessions - covers how to use available resources to effect a rescue, delegating tasks, evacuating a casualty, dealing with a helicopter evac.

Dive Planning and Management (not Damp Proof Membrane) :
    Theory and "dry" practical sessions. Planning dive trips - tides, depths, determining slack time, weather, etc. Selecting buddy pairs / groups, monitoring divers in/out of the water, delegating tasks to others (and sometimes, sorting out a post dive barbecue)

Add in an Oxygen Administration course, and that's most of Dive Leader theory training signed off.

Tribal Chestnut and Alex Denny like this.