1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best book on Britain's Freshwater Fishes ?

Discussion in 'Wildlife and Ecology' started by Alex Denny, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Hi all,

Any recommendations of a fairly decent but lightweight book on Britain's Freshwater Fishes? I'd like one with some easy ID tips and a bit of background on species etc., as opposed to a major academic work...

Also - anyone know of any waterproof slates out there?

Thanks!

2. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Don't know my self but an old member here Jack Perks would be the man to ask if contactable. He made the tv a few times with his filming of fresh water and river fish.

I've a slate I've use once in years. Pm me an address and it's yours.

3. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Wow, cheers mate. Very kind of you. I'll pm you now. I'll keep an eye out for Jack too...

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

A book of wet notes is good. Means you've lots of pages rather than a single slate. Obviously depends on what you are doing: a wrist mounted slate is great for an immediate reference for way points or runtimes.

5. kainan

kainan New Member

I have Phillips's guide to freshwater fish of Britain and Europe.I its a decent enough guide and you can get it on Amazon used for 1 pence plus postage?