1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BARE drysuits - are they worth the premium?

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Oxymoron, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

I am on the look out for a new trilaminate tech drysuit. I have dived Bare suits previously and I know that they are very good. But are they worth the premium price over (say) Typhoon or Northern Diver tech dry suits?

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What sort of quality are you considering? Off-the-shelf or bespoke? If the latter, there's lots of excellent British companies such as Hammonds, Predator, Otter, etc.

Bare seem ok; what's the sort of difference in price you've seen?

3. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

If you're doing "real" cold water stuff, Bare are brilliant

4. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

Why are they particularly good in cold water? I am most interested in trilaminate - surely the insulation is very little?

5. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I missed that bit! Their crushed Neoprene ones are great in really cold water. Not tired a trilaminate one from them.

6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

What’s ‘real’ cold water?

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Yeah... all drysuits are brilliant in cold waters with the right underclothes, especially heating!

Thing with membrane is there's no neoprene compression to change its buoyancy characteristics. Although this is circumvented with 'crushed' neoprene materials.

8. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

I think the compression of neoprene has had its day as almost all of the new suits I can think of are compressed to at least some extent. Back when we had 7mm neo for sure there was compression , bit like comparing today's trilam cut to fit suits with the early trilam's that resembled a crisp packet.

Interesting the technical team in Ireland i believe, choose 5mm neo suits for the inherent thermal properties and potentially better insulation in the event of a suit flood during a deep dive/long deco.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Isn't trilam more flexible? Although neoprene does stretch a bit.

What about tear-resistance? Trilam does seem to be more resistant to tearing.

10. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

IMHO trilam isn't flexible , it's the cut which will aid movement. Conversely neoprene stretches , even the skinny compressed stuff. Tear resistance , pass, seen both with holes , although I'd say neither are particularly prone, more due to user abuse. Out of the water trilam can be more comfy and lighter weight , in the water the difference is much less noticeable to me. That said my last 2 suits have been a 1.5mm DUI neo and currently a O3 2mm neo , both of which are probably as close to trilam as you can get.

I'd love to try the O3 1mm front entry but my 5year old suit still looks new so I'll have to try and dive lots this year to make it look a bit worn.

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is the "hyper"/"super" compressed neoprene effectively like a trilaminate anyway? Never had grope of a swatch of materials to compare, but one wonders if they're basically identical.

As it's almost the same thickness, Shirley the insulation properties are pretty much identical?

Just asking -- typical Wibble point, done no Gooooglin nor research.

12. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Neoprene suits are heavier and take far longer to dry.

Two significant negatives in my opinion.

13. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

The 1mm stuff is much like trilam I think but stretchy. For my money it's warmer but I can't really quantify that.