1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backplates

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Harvey-NG, May 8, 2018.

1. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Backplates seem to have rocketed in price recently, does anyone know why that might be? Simply scuba and Mike's used to have many in the £70 - £80 range, now many popular brands are selling at £140 ish, which is a hell of a lot for a bit of stainless steel.

Not looking for one at the moment, they last quite a while! Just wondering.

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Wing/Backplates were once a bit of a niche product but now everyone and his dog wants one they boost the price. If you want low cost then buy as unknown a brand as you can get and it'll likely be cheaper. Red hat and IST come to mind.

3. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

Check fleabay they do come up now and then

4. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Currently I dive a hollis ss backplate with a cutdown version of their solo harness (basically with less D-rings and without the shoulder pads - I should have just bought webbing and some triglides in hindsight.) Only problem is, if need to replace it - and it's getting pretty worn - the price has now doubled, although this is partially a hollis problem with the new supplier and all.

5. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Harvey-NG likes this.
  6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

One piece webbing + D-rings. Even Halcyon is £53

7. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

8. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

10. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

The more you pay, the less they give you...

11. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

That's the BP that I just ordered. £118 including delivery for the SS backplate and "DIR" harness plus a few extra D rings (I wasn't sure exactly how many come with it and I might want a choice of straight / curved)

I'll let you know how it looks/feels when it arrives, but the way I thought is that it's a bent piece of metal with some holes and slots in it. Why pay more for one with an Apeks/Halcyon logo etched into it?

12. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Light Monkey is £35 from here

13. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

[QUOTE="NickPicks, post: 179017, member: 1768"
    Why pay more for one with an Apeks/Halcyon logo etched into it?
    [/QUOTE]

It's a good point, but the twinning holes and cam band slots on my apeks wing don't line up with the hollis backplate I use. Well, they both line up, either the slots or the holes do, but not both. This is a pain when diving on a single cylinder, because either I hold the whole rig together with the cam bands - which means two separate bcd bits, or use an STA, which I don't like doing because it doesn't quite fit over the tank stabiliser bars the apeks has. If they did all line up, I could use coach bolts to hold everything together, making the rig easier to set up.

So, I would happily pay a bit more for a backplate that I know is completely compatible, but £140 is steep.

14. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Back plate only needs two holes with an 11” spacing between them.

Hired a twinset in Feb last year at Divewise in Malta, one on the Halton last June and one at Maltaqua today and they all fitted with no adjustment necessary.

Any other spacing or cut-outs aren’t necessary, aside from harness slots.

Harvey-NG likes this.
  15. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

That's surprising. i thought the hole spacing was a standard 11 inches. I can understand the bolts being wrong if whoever assembled the kit didn't measure properly, but the makers of the BP & Wing should have got it right.

<Nick goes away to worry if the different parts he's ordered from different suppliers will match when he receives them next Tuesday!>

16. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

The holes are 11" apart, what he was saying is that if he lines up the holes the cam-band slots don't line up, I don't think there is really a standard for cam-band slots.

His Apeks wing is trying to be clever and including a built-in STA so that's what's causing him issues using a 'normal' STA and ignoring the slots altogether.

NickPicks likes this.
  17. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

Yes, Apeks trying to be clever has messed up the whole single tank job, but I've since cut it out which has sorted everything. As for holes being 11 inches apart, both my wing and backplate have a slot rather than a hole at the bottom for twinning bolts or STA bolts which allows for slight discrepancies - ie. not having your bands exactly 11 inches apart.

NickPicks likes this.
  18. snowman

snowman Active Member

I bought a Red Hat Wing, backplate and deluxe harness and am very happy with it,

It's less 'technical' than the rigs most of my fellow dives have (Red Hat do a more basic harness), but it cost a lot less for more - Go figure!

The backplate is fine, as others have said, it's a lump of metal, but the whole setup is comfortable (although the sum total of my experience of Wing Diving is this and a couple of goes on a rebreather...)

This bit on John's site made me smile

The latest batch have "RED HAT" laser cut down the spine. Doesn't make any difference to its use but I had one whinger who complained because it wasn't the same as the pic

M

19. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I went for the Red Hat backplate and "DIR" one piece harness, but I bought an apeks wing as the red hat wings for twin cylinders are horseshoes and I wanted a doughnut one.

I did give the edges of the backplate a going over with a sanding block for 10 minutes. They have been through a rumbler, but some of the edges still felt a little square (not sharp)

It all fits together fine. Now I just need to get it wet.