1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATOL - Note of Caution

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Major Clanger, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

ATOL exists to provide cover to passengers when package holiday firms go bust. There is no cover if you use scheduled flights. Modern holiday arrangements sometimes involve the company you booked a holiday with putting you on scheduled flights. You are not covered by ATOL if this type of holiday is booked and need to check beforehand to ensure you have adequate cover if the holiday company stops trading. I may not have got this exactly correct but should be considered when booking overseas trips. Put simply, when booking the holiday make sure you get it in writing that you are ATOL covered, don't just assume you are from the logo in the window, or make alternate insurance arrangements. As this is ongoing and passengers have been caught out, dunno if the mods want to stickify this message.

*****As from today 30th April 2012, the above is changing. Check small print for details*****

John-flood likes this.
  2. stevenl

stevenl New Member

I may be wrong, but I thought the rule was:

book via an ATOL firm a package, and in case of financial problems the guest will get a refund, no matter what flights were booked, but:
    book via an ATOL firm flights only, and in case of financial problems the guest will NOT get a refund.

3. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

It's even more complicated. It's if you book through a travel company/ firm then flights or holiday will be protected if any part goes bankrupt. However unless they have agreed the whole lot is a package and not individual items depends on how much you can claim back.
    http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1080&pagetype=70&gid=1084&faqid=692

4. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

Even better than that, a travel firm can advertise as being ATOL registered, which is whole different ball game to one who advertise ATOL protection. Registered means diddly squat, protected means you might see some of your holiday cost returned.

5. Diver1981

Diver1981 New Member

That is an interesting point, when I book a holiday I look for the ATOL logo and assume that I will be covered. I will keep an eye out for that in the future.

6. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Or just pay on credit card and get instant protection.

Scunnered and Gnomey like this.
  7. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

The sticky has changed.